LegacyGT.com

Starter Problems

Hello all,

I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 5 speed manual and recently changed out my clutch and timing belt. When trying to connect the negative terminal to the battery, the starter started to spin. I've tried figuring out if I have put all the wires back on correctly but it seems that all wires were put back on correctly. I have absolutely no idea why it is doing this because before taking out the starter it was working just fine. Anyone know what I could do to fix this? I can take pictures and post them if that'll help try to find the solution.

Also pull the little quick-disconnect connector off the solenoid. If the starter spins with that removed, the solenoid contact disc has fused to the motor feed contacts, or at least somehow stuck in the closed position. A tap with a hammer may dislodge it.

Or at least a solenoid. I'd take it off and disassemble it on the bench. This is an unusual problem, worth investigating. And the timing is unlikely to be a coincidence.

Before removing, take the power connection off the solenoid and check continuity across the high-current terminals to verify the stuck disk hypothesis.

Before I received your post after I went to Auto Zone and got the starter checked. It tested that the starter was working fine. Does this mean that I should still test it? If so where is the power connection on the solenoid and which are the high-current terminals.

The solenoid has two high-current terminals. One has a wire connected to the starter. That is the motor feed, and you should NOT connect the power cable to that. You should connect the power cable from the battery to the other terminal, which is the power source terminal. Sounds like you may have connected the power cable to the motor feed.

But the pics look OK.

I don't know anything about what sort of test AutoZone ran, but there should NOT be continuity across those terminals except when the starter is engaged. Is the pinion extended or retracted? If you're not sure, just post a pic. Assuming the starter is still out of the car.

Archived