LegacyGT.com

05 Volvo S40 6M

Looking at the September issue of C&D, they say the V50 T5 AWD w/ 5-speed auto will be here shortly (wagon version of the S40 supposedly or will this year it be called the S50?) The 6-speed is supposed to be added to AWD late this year I believe. I was just skimming through the article while on break at work tonight and I was just running a comparo with the Leggy for features and specs with cost. I found some fairly interesting things. The GT in same trim weighs about 50lbs less, but offers more cargo room with rear seats up and greater leg room for rear passengers at the same time. It has an electronically controlled center diff (as I think all auto-tranny AWD cars do basically) sending power to peg-leg (I mean open front diffs) both front and rear. The Legacy GT models get a rear LSD to help with slippery weather traction. Brakes are slightly larger on the GT but vented at all corners. What's most noticeable to me is the fuel economy. Granted it is making 8psi of boost, making it's peak torque of 236lbs at 1500rpms with 218hp at 5000rpm, but it still gets 24/31 for mileage stats. Makes you wonder why they can't tune the Subaru for somewhat better fuel economy. We all hear that the GT is tuned rather rich to be safe, would be interesting to see what difference it would make if some of the more experienced tuners smoothed out the engine management and leaned it out somewhat while still being well within the safe curve. The most interesting part to me is the cost deal. They list their V50 T5 AWD model at some $30,795 base (5-speed auto only so far) + $685 delivery + $995 premium pack + $500 for 17-inch wheels + $405 convenience group (everything available on the GT less Homelink) for a grand total of... $33,380 and that doesn't include the heated seats of the GT Limited Wagon. The GT Limited Wagon with similar feature set comes to a grand total of $31,635 and the mechanical aspects of the GT seem to be more sound less the fuel mileage difference. The price becomes a bit greater when you comare the base GT Wagon as the Limited pack costs quite a bit but not as much for the same features in the Volvo. I'm not necessarily saying the V50 T5 Auto AWD Wagon is bad and the GT takes all, it's just my perspective on the whole deal. Others may see it different.

• 2 weeks later...
Before I bought my LGT, I spoke with the Volvo dealer, the S40 was on my list untill the dealer told me the AWD option was only going to be available with the Auto tranny....ala G35...big mistake by them if thats the case....may have changed

Here is a comparo I did a while ago in this thread [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1323&start=0[/url] [quote]I guess this thread hasn't been gone long, but to just give a comparison, shopping a GT Ltd Wgn 5spd against a comparable V50 T5 AWD 6spd, here are some numbers (I have driven the Leg., but not the Volvo.) I priced out each to try and match features. The Leg has added the subwoofer, the security system upgrade, and the dimming mirror. The V50 is spec'ed to match the above options with only 3 extras not present in the Legacy: 3 seat mem. settings on the driver side, Homelink, and rain sensing wipers. I am guessing the weight of the V50 using the weight of the standard S40 T5 6spd (actually, I don't think it includes 2 people and fuel like the Subaru weights), plus 150 lbs for awd (Haldex based system is about this I think), plus the 135 lbs for the standard sedan to loaded wagon (accounts for leather, stereo, moonroof, wagon, etc. and is the difference between the GT and the GT Ltd Wgn) _________GT Ltd Wgn 5spd___V50 T5 AWD 6spd Price:_______$30,741__________ $34,845 Weight:_______3435_____________3411 HP @ RPM:__250 @ 5600_______218 @ 5000 TQ @ RPM:__250 @ 3600_______236 @ 1500 0-60:______5.8 Mfg. Sdn._____6.5 (R&T of a S40 T5 6spd., no AWD) I would expect the Leg. Wgn to only be about .2 sec slower to 60 and the V50 to be more like .3-4ish sec because of the greater weight increase and the larger parasitic drag with the addition of AWD. The fuel data looks to be slightly in favor of the V50, but they don't have V50 AWD data out, so that is an assumption on what is there. The Leg should have a higher top end and lower 1/4 mile times, be a lot better in the "twisties", and be a much more drivers oriented car. Both prices are MSRP including Destination, but if you have to pay taxes, obviously, the more money, the more tax. The extra money between the two will make a Leg. untouchable by the V50 (without spending another $8K on the V50, just look at ipd.com to see how much volvo tuning costs) To add all the goodies eveyone is complaining about the Leg. not having, (HID, Nav, Upgraded Stereo, and Stab. Control) the V50 hits $38,953. Again, without tax. This extra $8k could add a lot to the Legacy.... Just some perspective..... [/quote] All AWD models, S40 and V50, will have the option of the 6-speed. The upgraded stereo in those cars is awesome. Other than that, and possibly the mileage (possibly fixed as Sube said), the Legacy dominates... Ted
:spin:

[quote]Before I bought my LGT, I spoke with the Volvo dealer, the S40 was on my list untill the dealer told me the AWD option was only going to be available with the Auto tranny....ala G35...big mistake by them if thats the case....may have changed[/quote] According to the brochure for the 2005 S40 I have in my hand, the 6-speed is available in both FWD and AWD.

Archived