LegacyGT.com

2008 3.0r a/c issues and steering rack

Whats up guys? So far the cars been a champ but now at 120k miles I have been having some issues. I brought it to Subaru for the airbag recall finally and to have them inspect a noise that my wife was concerned about (she took the car from me as she liked it, seems to be how it works). Anyway...The dealer said the steering rack/pinion was leaking, needs new brakes (i knew this) and needs A/C charged (suspected this as she stated shortly before going in that the A/C didn't work).

I decided to try my hand at the A/C myself. I went to recharge it but the recharge can indicates the system is full. The A/C does not spin when on cold and full blast. The clutch for it spins just fine (when off but doesn't engage when on). The belt moves with no problem. I checked the relay and noticed its the only relay in that box (odd but maybe its the H6) no fan relay or any other in the box under the hood. The fuses are all in place. Is this the only relay on the H6? Either way I tap it once or twice and nothing. How can i test the relay? Anyone else have issues with the A/C in the 3.0 trim?

Finally...the steering rack. I have never had a car that the steering rack started leaking. the car drives fine. engine is strong. drive train is amazing. I am a little frustrated with the repair cost from subaru. I don't have space to change a steering rack myself and they are quoting $1200 just for that. Also the A/C is baffling me and the fact it only has the 1 relay has me wondering?

Any advice? I really feel like the dealer is fleecing me as the guy who quoted my repairs told me i should replace my timing belt and the car doesn't even have one!!

Please help a brother out!

I'm a newbie to AC work, but here are my thoughts on that subject. I would not trust the low pressure gauge on the can. Just out of curiosity, what psi did it read? From what I understand, you really need an ac manifold gauge set reading both the low pressure and high pressure sides to really see how the system is charged.

From what I understand the AC compressor will not kick on if the pressure is too low, so the compressor doesn't get damaged. I think that if the pressure is too high, maybe the same could happen, AC wouldn't work at all.

From between 86F - 95F, with the AC on max cool, recirc on, and the engine rpm's at 1500, the pressures should read..

low pressure side -18psi - 28psi

high pressure side - 213psi - 242psi

Archived