LegacyGT.com

This is annoying - gas cap door is very tight to close

ha ha!! I'm finding a few issues and I wonder why the PO lease person didn't go to the dealer and have them do the fix. I think there is even a TSB.....maybe?

First time getting gas and I found I needed to give a good whack. With the design of that retraction pin, getting a lateral whack doesn't seem like a good idea. Felt the retraction pin and it is wobbly which I guess is from fill-ups over the previous 36,000 miles on the car.

I've read where someone filed down the retraction pin.

<<As many here know the gas cap door is very tight to close. You really have to whack it hard to get it to close. >>

"Communication Number: 09-61-15, Date: 2015-11-24 Category: 350000 EQUIPMENT Summary: THIS BULLETIN ANNOUNCES A DESIGN CHANGE TO THE FUEL FILLER DOOR (SAUCER) ASSEMBLY TO ADDRESS CUSTOMER CONCERNS OF IT BEING DIFFICULT TO OPEN AND / OR CLOSE. THE STRIKER PORTION?S SHAPE HAS BEEN CHANGED AS SHOWN IN THE CROSS-SECTION ILLUSTRA"

ha ha!! I'm finding a few issues and I wonder why the PO lease person didn't go to the dealer and have them do the fix. I think there is even a TSB.....maybe?

First time getting gas and I found I needed to give a good whack. With the design of that retraction pin, getting a lateral whack doesn't seem like a good idea. Felt the retraction pin and it is wobbly which I guess is from fill-ups over the previous 36,000 miles on the car.

I've read where someone filed down the retraction pin.

<<As many here know the gas cap door is very tight to close. You really have to whack it hard to get it to close. >>

"Communication Number: 09-61-15, Date: 2015-11-24 Category: 350000 EQUIPMENT Summary: THIS BULLETIN ANNOUNCES A DESIGN CHANGE TO THE FUEL FILLER DOOR (SAUCER) ASSEMBLY TO ADDRESS CUSTOMER CONCERNS OF IT BEING DIFFICULT TO OPEN AND / OR CLOSE. THE STRIKER PORTION?S SHAPE HAS BEEN CHANGED AS SHOWN IN THE CROSS-SECTION ILLUSTRA"

Yes, I filed the pin down with a simple file the first few weeks I had our car in 2015. The pin is plastic and will only take a few swipes to remove just the bit of material it needs to function properly. Spray it with some lubricant prior to putting the file across.

Easy peasy. Beats spending 2 hours in the dealer 'customer lounge' with the cat ladies and man purses.

That made me laugh --- "cat ladies and man purses"

On a serious note --- did you file a lot and did you round the edges a bit?

They should have made a channel on the plastic striker plate, it would change in depth and help usher the pin into the slot. Man I think the previous sentence is clear as mud but it is clear in my head.

Yes, I filed the pin down with a simple file the first few weeks I had our car in 2015. The pin is plastic and will only take a few swipes to remove just the bit of material it needs to function properly. Spray it with some lubricant prior to putting the file across.

Easy peasy. Beats spending 2 hours in the dealer 'customer lounge' with the cat ladies and man purses.

I had the issue where it wouldn't open. I got the entire assembly replaced for free, and never had another issue... Why mess with something on your own? What if you screw it up? Then you'd be SOL as you'd pay for a new one.

That made me laugh --- "cat ladies and man purses"

On a serious note --- did you file a lot and did you round the edges a bit?

They should have made a channel on the plastic striker plate, it would change in depth and help usher the pin into the slot. Man I think the previous sentence is clear as mud but it is clear in my head.

No, not a lot at all. Just took off a little bit of material off the nipple - sliding the face of the file perpendicular to the axis of the nipple maybe a good half dozen times. Spray with some lubricant before and after and you should be good to go.

I had the issue where it wouldn't open. I got the entire assembly replaced for free, and never had another issue... Why mess with something on your own? What if you screw it up? Then you'd be SOL as you'd pay for a new one.

Let me express this thought: There isn't a single tech in any shop anywhere that's going to take care of your property better than you are. ANYTIME you can avoid turning your car over to someone else, you should.

The task of shaving a teensy bit of material off the filler door nipple is such a simple one that any person that might screw it up, probably shouldnt be driving in the first place.

Also, I don't know about you, but any trip to a dealer service department is a de factor half a day burn for me - regardless of what the issue is. So I only go if I need to (warranty). If you have multiple hours to burn during the day to go run after something like this, then more power to you.

Let me express this thought: There isn't a single tech in any shop anywhere that's going to take care of your property better than you are. ANYTIME you can avoid turning your car over to someone else, you should.

The task of shaving a teensy bit of material off the filler door nipple is such a simple one that any person that might screw it up, probably shouldnt be driving in the first place.

Also, I don't know about you, but any trip to a dealer service department is a de factor half a day burn for me - regardless of what the issue is. So I only go if I need to (warranty). If you have multiple hours to burn during the day to go run after something like this, then more power to you.

I guess I am fortunate, as I am friends with my Service Tech and have a great relationship with my dealership :cool:

Archived