LegacyGT.com

'09 BL EJ253 (w/ AVCS) 5MT - Swap Advice

I did a quick search and didn't quite see anything. That and I suppose I'm looking for some sympathy. I know these are vague questions, so as a response some brief lists w/ pertinent links (i.e., starting points) would be greatly appreciated.

2009 BL EJ253 (w/ AVLS) 5MT (209k on vehicle). Tuesday night / Wednesday morning as I was headed home I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd when it just stalled. Nothing but grinding when I cranked it over.

The next day I couldn't see the timing belt when I popped the inspection cover. :( Dealer produced a severed shroud of the belt and quoted $3-4k to do head gasket and valves, so yesterday I hauled it to my buddy's boat / RV dealer where it now sits. The water pump was done just before I bought the car, and the timing component kit was a Gates TCK307 I installed Apr 2015 (108k on vehicle) with 4k miles to go before its replacement interval of 105k (213k on vehicle).

1) What is the feasibility of swapping the EJ253 out for something faster, such as an EJ255, EJ257, EJ25 or EJ20X|Y|D? What other parts (ECU, immobilizer, harness, etc.) would need to be replaced?

2) Gates may comp me for the repair (up to the car's pre-incident market value) if I restore it to its pre-incident state. If I grabbed another EJ253 w/ AVCS, what are some suggestions for making the vehicle faster?

3) What do I need to do differently to avoid this catastrophe the next time? (i.e., more frequent belt inspections)

My employer blocks *this* forum :mad:, but since I moved closer hopefully I'll have more time to respond. I've done a lot of forum searching elsewhere at work, but I haven't yet found anything useful.

• 4 months later...

Went with a JDM EJ253 w/ AVLS from JDM Engine Depot Inc of Belleville, NJ, USA.

After four months of waiting punctuated by some frantic working she's been running for two full weeks now! :D

She's got a misfire whose codes (P0301 to 4) are possibly throwing the cruise control and VCS into a tizzy. She's also leaking coolant from either the radiator or, more likely, the water pump. But she's running!

Archived