LegacyGT.com

99 SUS P0122 and AT Oil Temp challenges

Hi Guys, Have 1999 SUS with 2.5 and AT that are causing me challenges and need some help.

History - had lots of recent codes with low power to the fuel injectors and changed out the fuel pump and replaced the spark plugs and it started running close to normal. However, it wouldn't idle less than 1200 so I adjusted the TBS manual down to 900 and the IAC took me down to 700 rpms. This car is my teenager's daily driver and it ran fantastic for a week.

The other night it spuddered and died. Thinking it had another lack of fuel issue and we limped it home. I got it started and added fuel injector cleaner into the tank. Then it threw the IAC error. So I pulled it off and the entire throttle body and took everything apart to run carb cleaner thru it, cleaned up nicely. I assembled it and it started, this time it puked white smoke and ran really rough, missing a lot. Revved it up and eventually, it smoothed out but it the CEL came on and the AT Oil Temp started blinking. Cleared the misfire codes when it started running but couldn't clear the AT Oil Temp.

Put the car on stands and started it, adjusting the TBS and IAC again. The car was running great but the AT Oil Temp light is constantly blinking with CEL on with code p0122. I checked for vacuum leaks and noticed it was low on dif/transaxel oil, added some. Tried deleting the codes and they will not clear with my reader (which it normally does). Took it for a test drive around the block and it wouldn't shift, and something smelled hot. The engine temp was 3/4 up on the gauge and both radiator hoses were pressurized and hard. Let it cool and it started right up again, I think the new fuel pump is not the issue but I wonder.

Started my research and unhooked the battery, pushed on the brake for 30 seconds and started it back up. The CEL, AT Temp lights are on and it still has the P0122 code.

Need guidance on how to properly adjust the TBS and IAC. Or do you think the issue is with the AT? The AT Oil Temp light blinks constantly and never hesitates. And need to know how to clear out stubborn code(s).

Where should I start? :spin:

Thanks, Ken

OK!!! Time to close this thread. My subie lives.

Time to share a free lesson. When putting the TPS back together, I didn't align it correctly. After resetting that and clearing the codes, it roared back to life without the AT Oil Temp light showing however the CEL was on for a new reason. This time it was P0325 for a knock sensor. Did some research and pulled the electrical connection and checked the ohms, used a little dielectric grease when putting it back together.

Manually cleared the codes and it runs without any codes and purrs like a kitten it once was. I sure learned a few things with this challenge and I hope the next one is a long way off.

Good Luck, Ken

Archived