LegacyGT.com

How important is it to have same tires all around?

telluride_tj

I have a 5 spd Leg GT. When replacing a tire recently, the shop was very concerned that with a 4 wheel drive vehicle, all 4 tires be exactly the same and have the same amount of wear. Is this really necessary on the 5 spd?

Is it possible that it would cause tranny damage if I didn't follow their recommendations?

Subaru recommends that the circumference be within 0.25" on all 4 tires. Otherwise, there will be excess wear/strain on the various limited slip diffs.

This is probably even more critical on the 5speed as all the diffs are mechanical. The 5EAT can have a fuse pulled to make it FWD.

Subaru recommends that the circumference be within 0.25" on all 4 tires. Otherwise, there will be excess wear/strain on the various limited slip diffs.

This is probably even more critical on the 5speed as all the diffs are mechanical. The 5EAT can have a fuse pulled to make it FWD.

at least according to my manual, the fusse trick only applies to the 2.5i, not the GT with 5eat.

so long as the the tires are not .2" of difference in diameter of each other (tread depth) you are fine (as someone here made a remark like that)...

your tires should all be the same (even down the to model make, not just the size) as every tire company makes their tires in different sizes even though the sidewall say it's the same size.

Keefe

Archived