LegacyGT.com

K&N Short Ram Intake in winter

b_h_87

Cold air intake in the cold.......... This made the top ten list of things to avoid.

1. Soap on your intercooler
  2. Cold winter air in your cold air intake
  3. ..........
  4. ..........
  5. ..........
  6. ..........
  7. ..........
  8. ..........
  9. ..........
  10. ..........

It's fine by the way

When a CAI positions the air filter low in the engine compartment, some people argue that you will hydrolock the engine if you drive through a deep puddle (suck water into the intake)

I always thought it was bullshit, but AEM sells a bypass valve just for this purpose.

Bottom line - no reason to worry about a short ram intake that is in the engine compartment.

Im guessing that the question was asked because there is a concern that a Short Ram or CAI would be exposed to alot more dirt and salt in the winter months. Sanding and salting roads can make an engine bay very dirty very quickly.

My opinion would be to switch back to your OEM setup for the winter months. I used to on my 328i because in New England we get pounded with salt and sand all winter long. Its great for driving safely but tends to make the filter element a bit more dirty then Id like it to be. I guess you could clean it once every two weeks or so througout the winter..

a cold air induction intake that sucks air from down low is bad. it can get water slush and snow stuck and frozen onto the filter. but a short ram is up high so it wouldnt do anythign bad. unless u burried your car in a snow bank. but isnt a short ram suposed to mess up your maf sensor anyways? oh and also the gt's have that plastic guard on the bottom side of the engine. so even a cai would be blocked from the snow

Honestly, having lived in NE-Ohio since '97, and having had various slammed-to-the-ground DSMs with either true cold-air or cold-air ductwork, I've seen no problems concerning any such intakes.

And mind you, in the fall and spring, we routinely get torrential rainstorms - and living in the downtown-uptown corridor, there are also many major traffic arteries that get flooded with standing water up to 8-10 inches deep..... :eek:

Academically, yes, sucking in water through the intake tract is something that worries just about everyone running true cold-air intakes, and even some running extensive cold-air directing ductwork. Like Jezebel and others have cited, various bypass valves, such as the one marketed by AEM, are designed specifically to work around this problem should you live in an area that routinely sees flash-flooding.

However, in real-world application, at least in my experience, when the water's truly high enough to submerge your vehicle up to the wheelwell (where many choose to locate their true cold-air systems, to minimize chances of water suction), you've got more to worry about then sucking water into your INTAKE, and that anything short of a true snorkel, your car isn't going to survive, anyway! :lol: Meanwhile, with "ducting," the simple fact that they're just a passive tract pretty much cuts your chances of water ingestion to zero.

At the same time, there also have been reports of the foam elements around such "bypass valves" disentigrating or degrading over time, thereby causing the foam to be ingested - this is akin to ingesting the foam intake filter element, albeit on a more frequently reported basis due to the thinner membrane of the bypass-valve's covering.

From my past experience running true cold-air as well as cold-air ductwork, I truly see such water-ingestion concerns as only academic - and rarely, if-ever, played-out in the real-world (i.e. aside from true "idiotic" drives through standing water when the entire county's under flash-flood watch or, alternatively, not considering the consequences of living in an often-flooded area).

However, if such are your concerns, then definitely, a "short-ram" type of intake system will greatly reduce your chances of having such problems.

Certainly, I know for a fact that if water were to come anywhere near where the Perrin Short-Ram rests within my LGT, that I'd already have much, much more to worry about than my engine taking in water through its intake tract....for truly, I'd be up and over my headlights in standing water!!!!!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived