LegacyGT.com

Buying Twin Turbo Legacy, New to Subaru

Hello,

I'm Looking at buying a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT "E-tune"

The asking price is $4870 this is in Canada.

it has around 101,xxx Kms on it, so im excited at that idea because currently im driving a 2000 pathfinder @ 410,xxx kms that constantly needs repair.

Im writing here for some insight on the longevity of these cars because Ive never owned a turbo car let alone twin turbo.

I commute about an 1h 15m each way to and from work, and i think this would be an improvement on my fuel mileage even though its an automatic not a 5 speed.

Im going to see the car tomorrow, where should i be looking for leaks and such tells?

Also my biggest concern is parts availability, I used to be a Heavy duty mechanic so my toolbox is full of toys to make repairs, but where do you guys buy parts? I cant even find a lot of info on this motor online.

so i guess, How long do they usually go before needing a lot of love, and where do you get the parts when it does?

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/cto/d/subaru-legacy-gt-tune/6574125703.html

Hello,

I'm Looking at buying a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT "E-tune"

The asking price is $4870 this is in Canada.

it has around 101,xxx Kms on it, so im excited at that idea because currently im driving a 2000 pathfinder @ 410,xxx kms that constantly needs repair.

Im writing here for some insight on the longevity of these cars because Ive never owned a turbo car let alone twin turbo.

I commute about an 1h 15m each way to and from work, and i think this would be an improvement on my fuel mileage even though its an automatic not a 5 speed.

Im going to see the car tomorrow, where should i be looking for leaks and such tells?

Also my biggest concern is parts availability, I used to be a Heavy duty mechanic so my toolbox is full of toys to make repairs, but where do you guys buy parts? I cant even find a lot of info on this motor online.

so i guess, How long do they usually go before needing a lot of love, and where do you get the parts when it does?

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/cto/d/subaru-legacy-gt-tune/6574125703.html

Hey there,

I have a few friends with the twin turbo Legacy GT-Bs so I can share their experiences.

Fuel economy wise, they're pretty decent on gas as long as you're not driving them hard but keep in mind the price difference of premium vs regular gas for your Pathfinder (although I've heard Pathfinders are pretty bad on gas haha).

Reliability seems to be a mixed bag. If you plan on keeping the car stock it should be okay but it is almost a 20 year old car and with the twin turbo system you have a lot of added complexity of miles of vacuum lines and the twin turbo actuator as well. Boost leaks are a nightmare to find and most of my friends have changed to a single turbo set up from Forester STBs for simplicity.

Parts wise there isn't a lot available in Canada for the turbo system but there is interchangeability with things such as brakes, axles and differentials. There seem to be a lot of DIY approaches that owners use to avoid ordering parts from Japan.

Also keep in mind insurance with JDM cars. Not too sure how it works in British Columbia, but in Alberta most insurance companies will only provide PLPD for JDM cars. It might be easier for you as the Legacy was sold in North America for that model year but something to consider.

• 2 weeks later...
Thoroughly inspect the prospective buy before you commit any funds to the project. Alternatively, set aside a fat pile of money for a new engine, because, yes, Legacy GTs tend to have a high number of engine failures but the caveat is these failures affect vehicles that are run inappropriately by owners who know no better or should know better. Circumstantial evidence of this fact is manifest in three very long queues of people in my automotive life

Archived