LegacyGT.com

Ignition Coils - OEM vs OEM "replacement"

A while back I had an issue with misfire due to a crapped out coil pack. At the time, funds weren't available to just do all 4 and I figured I'd end up having to do it when another failed. That time is now.

There seems to be general consensus that OEM is good 'nuff unless you are building for/pushing serious HP (and even then, usually still good enough). However, I don't see much out there about aftermarket oem replacements. Anyone have any experience with such? Quality/life issues? They're usually significantly cheaper than Subie OEM. I'm not looking at super-cheap cut E-bay stuff, more like Bosch, Delphi, etc...

Shop around for best price on the OE part numbers. I bet you can find them nearly 40% off. If not, RockAuto and similar should have decent OE-replacements like the ones you mention. Cant see a reason why they'd be any worse off vs 8 year old stock ones.

There was a guy on here years ago with a 2.5i in China and another with a Australian LGT who installed some super expensive aftermarket coil packs - made for these engines. Brand, pics and all were posted, but given the cost ($1K+ if I remember correctly) and no clear benefit - no one else bothered trying them. I bet the posts are still here around somewhere.

Yeah, I've seen the Okada, etc. I'm not looking to go that route as I see zero benefit on a daily stage 1 (and even then some according to research). The best price I've seen for a pack of 4 is a little north of $300. That seems like a good price, but I'm still familiarizing myself with the market for these engines.

We can fit 08-14 WRX/STI coils, correct? Literally same part?

Aftermarket coils are okay if you stick with brands you mentioned. However, like everything else, there is a chance that new aftermarket part is defective. Same goes for oem but their failure rate is less. Buy them locally so if there's an issue, you can easily get it replaced.

Archived