LegacyGT.com

Seasonal Oil Change

Where I live we don't get dramatic temperature changes, but after watching the attached video I was just wondering if any of you guys who endure really cold/snow seasons adjust your oils to suit the changing seasonal temperatures?

0W20 is a great oil for the coldest of conditions and so is the perfect winter oil.

What about summer? I never experience engine operating temperatures outside of normal range so there's no reason to change anything. 5W30 is only recommended for the 2.5i if 0W20 is not available.

What about summer?

In a water-cooled engine there is usually very little difference in operating oil temperature, summer vs. winter. Oil temperature will typically stabilize at about 10 to 20 degrees F above coolant temperature. Example: In our 2016 Outback 2.5, highway cruising at ~70 mph (~113 km/h), stabilized engine oil temperature during the summer is only ~10 degrees F (~6 C) higher than during winter.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Where I live we don't get dramatic temperature changes, but after watching the attached video I was just wondering if any of you guys who endure really cold/snow seasons adjust your oils to suit the changing seasonal temperatures?

No.

Archived