LegacyGT.com

One Speaker Not Getting Enough Power?

I have a 2005 Legacy 2.5 Limited W/ factory woofer.

The front passenger speaker was ''dead'' since the day I bought the car. A few months later, I bought a pair of cheap Kenwood speakers to replace them with, but it was no luck. There is minor Corrosion on the battery, and I did get the alternator replaced last month for a different reason. Sometimes the damaged speaker would make a pop noise, which led me to think it's bad wiring. Recently I set the stereo to only play off the damaged speaker, and I set the volume to max on the stereo, and max on my phone. I started to faintly hear the music my phone was playing. I stuck my ear right against the speaker, and the sound quality wasn't bad at all. The speaker isn't getting any power. How can I fix this issue?[/size]

Ok. It really sounds like a short to me. It could be the connectors, or some exposed wire, are touching the metal of the door somewhere.

j.

Ok, so I'd have to retrace the cables back to the radio in order to see whats causing the issue? Can I just replace the cable? or is it all connected to a speaker hub somewhere?

Start simple and check the door's speaker cables. You have the main set of speaker cable in your door, which is then split to run OEM component speakers (woofer in the door, and tweeter above). Pull your speaker out. Check to see if the connectors are touching any metal from the door. Check to see that your wires are properly insulated, etc. I can't imagine much being wrong with the OEM wiring and harness from the radio going to the door unless the car's stereo was previously modified.

If all of that is good, you will want to test your OEM head unit.

Hope that helps.

j.

Start simple and check the door's speaker cables. You have the main set of speaker cable in your door, which is then split to run OEM component speakers (woofer in the door, and tweeter above). Pull your speaker out. Check to see if the connectors are touching any metal from the door. Check to see that your wires are properly insulated, etc. I can't imagine much being wrong with the OEM wiring and harness from the radio going to the door unless the car's stereo was previously modified.

If all of that is good, you will want to test your OEM head unit.

Hope that helps.

j.

Thanks for the info man, I'll update if I get somewhere.

• 1 year later...