LegacyGT.com

Steering lock

iyalla

The steering won't lock on my 05 2.5i wagon. Once I take the key out I can turn the wheel all the way round. I know this is not normal right?

Only had the car a couple of weeks, should I take it back to the dealer or is there some activation process I can do.

Thanks, this is my first Subie and its an awesome car.

My steering wheel only locks when I turn it to the left, if I try to lock it turning it to the right, it's a no go. Make sure you are trying to lock it in both directions to see if one way works and the other doesn't. I've also noticed, that if I missed the "locking" position, I have to turn it back to the right, then left again.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny that I found this thread,..

I have the same problem too that when I take out my key to park and want to lock my steering wheel for added security, I can turn my steering wheel left and right without it locking,..I only got it to lock once out of many attempts,..

I cant believe its a "one off" problem as others have this problem too,....Is there something that we OB/GT owners should know about??

I had the same issue and posted a similar question a few months back. The wheel does indeed lock, but only turning it counter-clockwise and quite a few turns at that. Save the pressure on your steering parts and tires by trying this on gravel or a dirt road.

Once I figured out how to lock the wheel and nothing was "broke" I have never used it again.

:munch:

Sorry I didn't post back. You guys are right. In order to lock it you litrally have to turn it 90 degress. Yes 90 degrees! The steering wheel has to be upside down! I was amazed at this. Most cars lock within the first quarter of a turn. The legacy seems to lock after a half turn. Your wheels will be turned in almost like you would when you park on a gradient. Uberdog is right, keep the engine running then turn the wheel half a turn, then turn it off and lock otherwise its some serious pressure you're leaving on the lock.

Archived