LegacyGT.com

Possibly broken injector?

I had a misfire code that kept coming up on Cyl 2. So last night I decided to swap injectors on cylinders 2 and 4. I removed the cylinder 2 injector ok, but the angle sucked on cylinder 4, so I grabbed it with pliers and those slipped breaking off the gray plastic cap thing on the top of the injector. I figured it was a dust cap that was put there when the injector was build and was probably no big deal. So I swapped the injectors anyway and cleared the code. Now, on initial start it idled fine, but when I drove it this morning it threw a code and ran worse and worse till it died short of work. I pulled over and cleared a misfire code on cylinder 2 (now has the "broken" injector), and I limped the car the rest of the way to work.

So, the gray cap on the injector must do something, right? Or have I more likely messed something else up?

Thanks, that was a bit of an expensive mistake. I wish I could have found it after it broke. Now I'm paranoid that it fell into the hold the injector came out of. I'm not sure where it would go, or what it could do, but if it went through the cylinder it's already done it.

Archived