LegacyGT.com

Installed new Xenon HID low and high beam headlights but can't get DRL's to work.

So last night I replaced the stock halogen low and high beam head lights in my 2015 Subaru Legacy Premium and they work great at night but I noticed that currently the HID high beam lights are not on in the daytime as the daytime running lights. The halogen high beams previously acted as the DRL's just at a lower light level than if i was to turn them on as brights at night. Has anyone had this issue? How can I get the HID high beams to act as DRL's in the daytime like the halogen bulbs did?

For additional info here is the kit I purchased: https://www.xenonhids.com/high-beam-9005-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html?i=DP1De

The short answer is "No."

Besides being illegal, converting halogen reflector high beams to HID is a very bad idea ... for several technical reasons, only one of which you have encountered so far.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Hid kits require at least 11.5v to ignite and function properly. The dayte running lights have an in line resistor built in to give you the effect of the lower light level in halogens.

Halogens on the other hand don't care what voltage they're running at as they will always output some level of light.

As of right now you can't run hids with drls as they simply won't work.

You can either

A.replace them with halogens and run the drls

B. Disable the drls

C. Always drive with your headlights on (not recommend)

Of course you can always do what I did and reroute the drl signal to your fog lights and then run halogens in there.

Sorry there isn't a more convenient solution.

You might try to find some high power led highbeams that can handle that but I've been searching for a long time with no luck.

Thanks for the reply guys, if I can’t get them to turn on in the day at all that’s not too if a deal. I still think they look better off in the day compared to the orangeish color of the halogens that I had before. What if I eventually replaced the high beam HID’s with LED’s? Would those work as DRL’s as well as high beams?

I still think they look better off in the day compared to the orangeish color of the halogens that I had before.

Headlights are a safety system, not a fashion accessory.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Hid kits require at least 11.5v to ignite and function properly. The dayte running lights have an in line resistor built in to give you the effect of the lower light level in halogens.

Halogens on the other hand don't care what voltage they're running at as they will always output some level of light.

As of right now you can't run hids with drls as they simply won't work.

You can either

A.replace them with halogens and run the drls

B. Disable the drls

C. Always drive with your headlights on (not recommend)

Of course you can always do what I did and reroute the drl signal to your fog lights and then run halogens in there.

Sorry there isn't a more convenient solution.

You might try to find some high power led highbeams that can handle that but I've been searching for a long time with no luck.

Always drive with low beams on is what I do and it will annoy the surrounding traffic a lot less than high beam DRLs.

Or install separate DRLs if you like that better.

Notice that high beam halogen DRLs is actually a bad idea - they don't get warm enough to work properly so the metal in the filament creates a thin metal layer on the inside of the glass causing them to get bad performance when you need them - and they burn out faster if they don't have the right temperature.

453747.png

Why?

Just because headlights have shorter life?

That and on really bright days it can be difficult to differentiate between the taillights being on and the brake lights being on.

At least that the case on some cars. Though I have never actually seen the brake lights on my own car.

If someone can't differentiate between brake and tail lights they need to stop driving. Especially now when all cars have a center brake light too.

Shorter life on halogen bulbs isn't a big deal, you don't have to replace them that often. And having the lights on keeps away moisture in the lamps too.

453747.png

That and on really bright days it can be difficult to differentiate between the taillights being on and the brake lights being on.

At least that the case on some cars. Though I have never actually seen the brake lights on my own car.

Gotcha.

I drive with my low beams and fogs on 24/7.

I've checked my brake lights, there is a large difference between lights on and braking so I'm good there.

I also like that a car with lights on is more noticeable, as a little white wagon can blend in to easily. If I shorten the life of my bulbs by a bit, I'll pay for that, if it helps me be seen and less likely in an accident.

So last night I replaced the stock halogen low and high beam head lights in my 2015 Subaru Legacy Premium and they work great at night but I noticed that currently the HID high beam lights are not on in the daytime as the daytime running lights. The halogen high beams previously acted as the DRL's just at a lower light level than if i was to turn them on as brights at night. Has anyone had this issue? How can I get the HID high beams to act as DRL's in the daytime like the halogen bulbs did?

For additional info here is the kit I purchased: https://www.xenonhids.com/high-beam-9005-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html?i=DP1De

You should NEVER install HID's in the high-beam position period. It's even more important not to when the HB is coupled to the DRL. Because HID's require a ton of juice to ignite, they function poorly as high beams specially when you need to "flash" another driver for one reason or another. I agree that using bulbs that aren't designed for the HL reflectors isn't the best idea but, if your hell bent on using them, use a halogen or LED in the HB position and leave the HID in the LB. I actually installed HID's into my LB position and they worked great for the 2 years I hd the car and never had an issue with oncoming traffic.

an LED in the High beam position will fully light all the time during the day because the lower voltage from the DRL circuit will be enough to power it.

So it is a stupid idea, but not as bad as putting an HID bulb in the high beam position.

Overall, even adding an HID bulb to your halogen projector is a bad idea, and an illegal modification, because the halogen projector is not designed to properly focus the HID light output, squirrel finder is still there, and your headlights are not designed with a self-levelling system like the OEM HID setup has.

The only thing worse than all of this are the retards who put an HID bulb in a non-projector headlight.

But then again, OP did that with his high beam. At least the DRL circuit can't fully light it.

an LED in the High beam position will fully light all the time during the day because the lower voltage from the DRL circuit will be enough to power it.

So it is a stupid idea, but not as bad as putting an HID bulb in the high beam position.

Overall, even adding an HID bulb to your halogen projector is a bad idea, and an illegal modification, because the halogen projector is not designed to properly focus the HID light output, squirrel finder is still there, and your headlights are not designed with a self-levelling system like the OEM HID setup has.

The only thing worse than all of this are the retards who put an HID bulb in a non-projector headlight.

But then again, OP did that with his high beam. At least the DRL circuit can't fully light it.

The cut off on our projectors with HID bulbs is very good. You're not blinding anyone.

You're not blinding anyone.

Let's see some objective data to back up that claim.

spacer.png

did you bend the squirrel finder out of the way?

Do you even know what that is before you googled it?

Where did you install the self-levelling kit when you did your inserts?

And how did you change the focal point of your halogen projector to accommodate a brighter light source that has a completely different hot spot?

When you can satisfy all those, your HID inserts will be similar-ish to the OEM setup.

Archived