LegacyGT.com

Battle of the daily drivers - LGT wagon outperforms LS1 TA

I'm still the new guy on the Subaru block, but an enthusiast I have already become. Actually I got just a healthy nibble of Legacy GT back in the mid 2000s but nothing that would constitute enjoying them as they should be enjoyed... owned and driven regularly. One week ago today that all changed when I took a nearly 900 mile round trip to pick up my new '05 LGT wagon. The ride home was much better than the trip there in a late model Altima. So much so I'll not even waste the words on a new Altima/13 year old Legacy GT comparison :lol:

The TA I speak of is a '98 two owner with 195K. I bought it with 60K in 2003. She was and still is a screamer!!! A few bolt ons and a decent LS1Edit tune later just under 300hp and over 320tq was being delivered in a wide powerband directly to the pavement with the rear tires. 100% stock at purchase but quickly done mods include SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP cat-back, KBDD SFCs, and just for fun a SLP Linelock. Automatic... cause I hate the 6spd in the F-body made for a highway and drag racing beast that could easily disappear in smoke from the 245/50/16s.

So it got driven like a TA should be driven for quite a while, but I got older and my style changed so-to-speak. A few years back I picked up a '99 Accord for DD use, but it just didn't fill the role the way I wanted, mostly just too soft and slow, but the 30+mpg was cool. No matter, I still found myself behind the wheel of the Black Firebird more often than anything else. Wife can keep her mid-size SUVs too.

Anyway the Subaru was chosen and I'm sure the reasons are obvious to y'all. It is completely stock with 104K. I will drive it plenty and probably mod it lightly. For now I've got to get to work so I'll be back later to compare/contrast driving the two, but for now I just wonder... will this Subaru community graciously accept this convert from one 4th generation platform to another?

Welcome to the Legacy GT owner's fap fest.

Very few people on the forum still have a LGT as the 4th gens were the best and are getting old now and Subaru no longer makes a turbo legacy. You might have missed the party in that respect but we still have a small after party going on. Hope the car treats you well.

I owned a 96 formula, a 97 vette and a 2000 Trans Am. Many other cars too but those are my ls1/f-body cars. I miss my 2000 T/A the most. It was cammed, ported 241 heads, lsx intake, bolt ons. 427whp on a dynojet. 6 speed. I loved my 6 speed by the way.

Yup - Welcome the Party!!!

I too have an F-Body - Bolt-On/Tuned 96 Z28 (LT1)- I think my LGT is faster - but not nearly as much fun for burning off tires - LOL! (And I agree the 6spd is totally fun in the F-Body)!

It may be fun to bang gears in an F-body, but that car, like my LGT, was never really intended to be used as a twisty road or track day sports car. If the TA was ever used for 'sport' it did it in a straight line and with the right shift kit the 4L60E shifts as good and fast as any manual yet it never missed the next gear ;)

Make no mistake, the TA is a Pontiac... they did build excitement. That car is extremely fun to drive, even with the slushbox, and whipped most everything that tried her. However the LGT's refinement, creature comforts, and proper ergonomics for me make it a much better daily driver.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this topic. I have been daily driving the LGT to a lot of work... the whole reason I bought it. Those drives have been fun, but most importantly productive. I'll give more vs. impressions soon!!!

• 1 month later...

I sold my 00 Z28 about 2 years ago. *slap forehead*. I too did some mild bolt ons, but I did a lot of suspension work on it. Actually handled pretty decent. Best mod by far was the LT headers (Kooks). The sound.....oh the sound.

I have an 11 wrx and an 05 LGT wagon right now. I love the LGT, kinda meh on the WRX. The LGT feels faster, though stock vs stock the WRX is the better handler.

Present goal - turn the LGT into an awesome "beater" car, and get a 2020 SS 1LE. :)

Archived