LegacyGT.com

Transmission Pan

So I was driving the other day and threw cel and AT OIL TEMP, and also threw the code P0700. Now, with some research I guess possibly replacing the atf could solve this issue. Fluid is starting to turn a brownish color as well. I was just curious on how many quarts roughly I would need to drop the pan and refill it? Thanks!

I’d probably think a back flush wouldn’t be a good idea, but the flush I do involves removing the return line on the side of the trans, starting the car, and pumping new fluid thru it all, one pan full at a time. It’s easy and works well
'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

On the wife’s 05 a drain and fill replaces 4qts. I do it every couple oil change...roughly 15 - 20k miles. Do a change every weekend for a couple weeks and once the fluid comes back to red, drop the pan to clean it and the magnet and continue doing a drain and fill once or twice a year depending on the miles you drive every year.

How many miles on the trans? Have you ever changed the fluid?

So Subaru recommends tans fluid change every 30k I think. Your’s is 2 changes past due. I’m more familiar with old Chevy transmissions and a lot of those guys end up with “I just changed the trans fluid at 125k miles and 2 weeks later my trans died”. Not sure how the Subie trans will do with new fluid after that many miles but neglected systems can show their weaknesses when they are finally serviced. Just food for thought and something to consider as you go forward.

The board members recommend only Subaru ATF for the 5EAT which can be had for about $10/qt at the dealer which is on par with the price of Mobile1 ATF. A drain and fill is easy to do since these pans have drain plugs, just as quick as an engine oil change but you’ll need an Allen wrench/socket. The spin on filter from Subaru I think is $90 that is hidden in the fender behind the battery. I think it’s supposed to be good for 100k miles or something like that but I think it’s a good idea to change after you get good fluid out of trans or when you do the flush.

Thanks for all the advice spaceman! If I remember correctly, I believe everything was serviced at 63k. Including the timing and water pump.I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just drain it. Will I have to clear the code to get rid of it afterwards?

I'm getting some recalls done this Thursday, I'm just going to have them drain the pan and refill as well. Hopefully that will solve the issue. Thanks for all the help/advice!

Archived