LegacyGT.com

3.0R idle surge issue (with video)

Installed a DW65c fuel pump and didn’t change the tank gasket giving me an evap code. Ran for a few months cause it was cold and I was being lazy. A few days before I swapped the gasket and installed a new fuel filter the idle started to stutter when warm and and felt a slight misfire while cruising. Installed the fuel filter, changed the seal. Evap code gone. Same symptoms. Checked for vacuum leaks found a small rubber hose cracked- replaced. Check the PCV and the EGR and both were clean but I cleaned them anyways. Noticed driver side bank was running lean on idle and misfire detected on cyclinder 2, 4, 6.

Any ideas as to what it could be? I’ve looked online everywhere and I’m out of ideas. No leaks in fuel lines. Could the EGR controller be fried?

Here’s a video of what’s happening. Mind the random Maryland snow in April hitting my door.

I always post my 3.0R issues over at Subaruoutback.org. They have a very strong group of H6 experts that actively post and enjoy solving problems.

Am I understanding the video correctly: While idling with no throttle applied, the car's idle races up to 2k->3k range on its own and also suddenly dies down to a lower RPM? Or are you pressing the throttle and noting the uneven engine response at various RPM?

I always post my 3.0R issues over at Subaruoutback.org. They have a very strong group of H6 experts that actively post and enjoy solving problems.

Am I understanding the video correctly: While idling with no throttle applied, the car's idle races up to 2k->3k range on its own and also suddenly dies down to a lower RPM? Or are you pressing the throttle and noting the uneven engine response at various RPM?

Hey dispatch thank you. I might do that. And sorry yes, I should have mention i held the rpm at 2k, then idle, then at 3k.

Archived