LegacyGT.com

5EAT hard shift under med. acceleration

ZachCouch

I took my 2005 Outback XT through the carwash today, then drove it around town to dry it off. I was playing around with the manual mode, doing a couple 0-45mph pulls and a 0-60mph pull. I wasn't giving it WOT, maybe 50-75% and easing into it. I was shifting around 4500-5000 rpm. It wasn't giving me any problems. On the last pull, from a standstill at a stop sign, I shifted into 2nd around 4500 and the shift was really rough, hard enough to jerk me in my seat pretty good. I then drove home. It shifted perfectly fine in regular auto mode, even under a little gas. I tried manual mode one more time under light acceleration with no problems. A 2nd-3rd shift under mild acceleration gave me a slight jerk, but nothing serious. I checked my AT fluid as soon as I got home. The fluid was sitting right on the "Hot-Low" line. I added about a half a quart of fluid, enough to bring it back up to right under "Hot-Full". I let the car cool off for an hour or so, then took it back out. Shifting felt much better than it did before, and I didn't have any more jerky shifts.

Should I be concerned about any damage that may have been caused by having a rough shift? I've read that the 5EAT is a very tough and resilient transmission, but just how tough and reliable is it? I noticed the fluid is still transparent and red, would it be worth my while do do a drain and fill or a flush?

Thanks for any advice, guys.

From what I've learned owning a 5eat this is fairly normal. I wouldn't worry about it as long as everything is ok now. Hard shifts are always better than soft shifts. Maybe consider flushing some of the ATF if it's been a while.

From what I've been reading since, most people say the same thing. It seems to just be an aggressively shifting transmission. I haven't had any more issues. If anything it's shifting better, probably from adding that half a quart of fluid. I've been keeping an eye on the level and the driveway, but I haven't noticed any leakage. The fluid that's in it looks absolutely brand new, so I have to wonder if the dealer I bought it from, or the previous owner changed the fluid before putting it up for sale, and just didn't add quite enough.

Why are hard shifts better than soft shifts? Are soft shifts indicative of worn out trans components?

With my 2008 Outback XT Limted I pulled The acceleration value -0.35 today in manual mode in 1st gear just on a blip of the pedal. It hammer me into the seat frame liken to a A4 I rented last year for a trip north. Also shift points on full pedal to the metal was 6200 rpm.

I have not been manual shifting today I was just getting the bugs out of my tune from the day before. I noted that better mpg can be had by put the trans in manual mode and let the turbo do its work. Even with cruise on. I had averaged 25.5 on a test run yesterday but always in drive mode. today I upped the fuel mix in area's were it was 14.7-1 to 14.25-1 I was removing a flat spot on take off in drive.

http://www.vadatachat.com/Screenshot.png

Note my system is purely out back my tune is purely one I have been working on. seems to have pulled .35g hp is 320+ Torque is 300 ft lbs +http://www.vadatachat.com:lol:

Pure Subaru parts here.

Why are hard shifts better than soft shifts? Are soft shifts indicative of worn out trans components?

Soft shifts under load can allow slipping. You want a nice hard shift so the clutches don't have a chance to slip, cause once they start slipping youre gonna have problems.

yesterday my 5EAT was going a stray in lite traffic at low speeds low loads. The AT over heat light in dash came on. Shifting was nasty harsh and crazy. It was liken to solid hammered shifts. I reset the computer using a blue tooth app and it was back to normal shifts for a while. I had since last post increase the lean 14.7 air fuel mix to 14.25 this seem to reduce a flat spot in my gas pedal. Plus coming home from a dinner run I averaged over 27 mpg on interstate cruise. But I hit traffic jam and bingo the trans when south again. I also set fans to come on early on but this did not stop the over heat from happening in the traffic jam. today I up loaded the stock settings to the ecu.

and found still came up with limp mode shortly there after error P0800 ( tran control problems. ) updates to come. will got to dealership for there advice on what is the cause.

Archived