LegacyGT.com

Does anyone know how to disable the turn signal lights on all the time?

eatgeegee

hi everybody i have a question , as the title , i wondering how to disable to orange bulbs on all the time when the time u turn on your light switch, cause i want to make it like a JDM version~ when the time you make a left or right turn signal, then they will lighten up, not the time when you are not, cause i really hate the orange turn signal light on all the time ><

any comments would be good

thx~~~

last time i checked we (american citizens driving in the US) must have those on our car..they are corner markers and it is illegal not to have them..i could be wrong and anyone can feel free to tell me so if i am. and they are supposed to blink orange as well if i am correct..not fancy colors

I don't know about Japan, but US cars have to have them. There is a way to disable them, but if you want to break that particular law then someone else is going to have to tell you how to do it. I've never read or seen a car in Japan that didn't have park lights that turned on when you turned the switch. Granted, I don't know everything about Japan, but as far as I know it is how the car is made. I don't see a reason why that function would different in Japan on our cars, but maybe I'm wrong. We have members in Japan on the board that could probably clarify.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I've never read or seen a car in Japan that didn't have park lights that turned on when you turned the switch. Granted, I don't know everything about Japan, but as far as I know it is how the car is made. I don't see a reason why that function would different in Japan on our cars, but maybe I'm wrong. We have members in Japan on the board that could probably clarify.

"park lights" ? - Do you mean the turn indicators that are on constantly in USDM cars ? - In Japan, they're only on when we indicate to turn, then they're off, then they're on..... :icon_lol: ...unless you have a BMW then they don't work at all :icon_lol::icon_lol:

More simply, when I turn the car on, there are no lights on as default.

So when you turn on your headlights the bulbs where the signals are don't come on? Interesting. Still, it is retarded to do that in the US. Since every car has them it would be obvious that yours aren't working. You would get pulled over and given a $50 fix it ticket just as if you were pulled over for having your tail lights not working. Cops don't always care about other aftermarket modification, but they do care about your car being safe on the road. There is also the issue of getting your car registered if your state has any kind of safety inspection. Not having park lights would cause you to fail and you wouldn't be able to register your car.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I don't see any problems in telling someone how to do this mod - it's illegal, actually, to even "clear" our headlights or, in many areas, to even aesthetically darken our light housings. I won't even go into the cat removal(s) that's typical of our "Staged" mods.

Just be aware, eatgeegee, that you'll be in violation of roadgoing laws in just about every State and locale, and that this most obvious infraction can easily land you a ticket - especially depending on your local enforcement's attitude regarding altered lighting.

All you'd need to do is trace down which of the three wires going into the side-marker harness supplies power to the marker/parking circuit, and simply cut that wire.

This *should* give you turn-signal ONLY, with absolutely no side-marker at all.

I am uncertain, though, if this will make it so that your dash warning for the side-marker lamp is constantly illuminated, as it might detect a breach in the circuit.

BTW, I say "should" because I myself have not attempted this mod, although I've done plenty of other lighting mods associated with this circuit. So do this at your own risk.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I dont think the law states that it has to specifically be orange side markers though. My mom's Forester uses smaller white lights in the front as parking lights. THe turn signals are for turning only. THis kinda makes things a little interesting huh?:icon_smil But the fact is, she still has parking lights in the front, so the nonexistant parking lights are still an issue...its just that they dont always have to light up amber...

To the thread starter...just get some turn signals that light up orange and are silver/clear when not lit. Your not seeing the orange turn signals when they're on...so you probably wont know that they're on...:icon_mrgr That way, the police are happy, and you are somewhat happy...:icon_smil

eatgeegee,

where are you from? its gonna depend on state and local laws. I will be happy to look it up for you if you tell me what city/state your from.

thats all I do at work all day, look up traffic law.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

sure, you can just reverse the polarity on the bulb and just add another relay so that it's off when it's really suppose to be on, the relay will be your reverse switch. You should get two relays (one for each side of the car). Any typical relay that can handle 12v with a reverse pole will work.

As for your need, you will have alternating flashes between your sidemarker mirror flash and your corner bumper light.

I dont see the point of disabling it other for looks, why not just pull the bulb out and/or replace it with a hyper white? You need a corner light, it's the law.

Keefe

Archived