LegacyGT.com

Knock sum and Roughness on 1 and 2

So, I have a weird issue. My knock sensor is reading knock at idle enough to just continue through until it resets at 34 and starts again. It constantly reads knock throughout while driving as well. Also, if you hold the throttle at 1500 RPM the car shakes and reads roughness on cylinders 1 & 2.

I just had the head gaskets replaced and the heads machined after they blew. I was on the rollers when my tuner said that we can't tune it due to these issues. Makes sense.

On the dyno the car was producing a lot of black smoke under power.

Any one have any thoughts?

Car is an 07 Spec B at 96k. It's stage 2 catless and has been running an OTS map. It has the Cobb CAI as well.

1. What were the symptoms that led to the head & gasket work?
  2. What were the compression test results before the work?
  3. What were the compression test results after the work?
  4. What diagnostic steps have you taken so far?
  5. What was your tuner's pre-inspection checklist/procedure?
  6. Why are you catless?
  7. How long have you been running an OTS tune on that downpipe?
  8. What OTS tune are you running?

If you buy a catted downpipe and drop the car off with me, I will compression test, chase down the knocks and misfires as much as can be done without pulling the engine, and install the downpipe, for free.

1. What were the symptoms that led to the head & gasket work? The radiator blew and the car overheated to 280 degrees.
  2. What were the compression test results before the work? They didn't compression test the car because the car got so hot we just did the machining and gaskets.
  3. What were the compression test results after the work? See above.
  4. What diagnostic steps have you taken so far? Taking readings off of the AP.
  5. What was your tuner's pre-inspection checklist/procedure? Dave at Cryotune is my tuner, I see that your car is tuned by him. I'll send it if I need to. Typical things, oil check, check fluids. Tire pressure.
  6. Why are you catless? Honestly, because I like the sound better. No real reason.
  7. How long have you been running an OTS tune on that downpipe? March of 2017.
  8. What OTS tune are you running? Cobb Stage 2 91 octane.

Archived