LegacyGT.com

helical-type limited-slip

typeSpeed

But i already have an aftermarket clutch which i like and I like to keep the taller 1st and 2nd gears of the 5spd.

I believe the clutch would work with 6MT, but I am not 100% sure. Some nasioc info might be inaccurate.

I think that shorter ratio 2nd gear would benefit you in autox. I remember seeing STIs pulling like mad in slow corners, where LGT presumably went out of breath in 2nd gear.

Also 07 STI box has somewhat taller 2nd gear than 04-06 STI, but shorter than 5MT.

Finally don't forget that (most) 6spd boxes have 3.90 final, so it "raises" the gearing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the clutch would work with 6MT, but I am not 100% sure. Some nasioc info might be inaccurate.

I think that shorter ratio 2nd gear would benefit you in autox. I remember seeing STIs pulling like mad in slow corners, where LGT presumably went out of breath in 2nd gear.

Also 07 STI box has somewhat taller 2nd gear than 04-06 STI, but shorter than 5MT.

Finally don't forget that (most) 6spd boxes have 3.90 final, so it "raises" the gearing.

I really dont want a different gearing. id rather have a higher top speed in 2nd. my accel is just as good as an sti for the most part with my stage 2+stuff. As neat as DCCD would be to have, I dont want to get a whole new trans. plus the sti trans is heavier than the 5spd. Also, call me crazy, but i dont like buying used parts. and thats the only way id be able to do the 6spd swap.

I really dont want a different gearing. id rather have a higher top speed in 2nd. my accen is just as good as an sti for the most part with my stage 2+stuff. As neat as DCCD would be to have, I dont want to get a whole new trans. plus the sti trans is heavier than the 5spd. Also, call me crazy, but i dont like buying used parts. and thats the only way id be able to do the 6spd swap.

I see.

I hear 2007 6spd STI box can be gotten for about $4k new. Probably $1k for diff. Minus $1.5-$2k for 5MT box+diff... But yeah, 6spd is still expensive no matter how you look at it....

believe me, if i had the cash, id would do it in the end, but im more comfortable rebuling my rear end and swapping the center diff n the 5spd. it only the cost of parts then and if i find some lif time at a friends place, i can get the front done too. so figure 3-4K to swap out all the diffs. the question for me now is, which combo to get, what is needed for the rear diff swap, and will my axle stubs fit in the diff carriers F+R.

Found this regarding installation of front diff:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14927927&postcount=5

Did it, love it, best mod after RSB and ditching RE92s. IMO, the two big differnces between a WRX and STI are the extra Tq and the front LSD. I'm working on adding an extra half liter next year... (but still have not given up all hope for an STI wagon...)

Naturally, with the LSD, the car pulls must better out of corners and around the apex. But the drop in understeer very notable, more so on gravel/snow;even more with LFB.

It cost near $5K when all said and done (LSD it self was only 900), but I got a second tranny box, new sycros, new bearings, R&R, and STi cryo/micro polished gears with it.

But now when I sell my WRX I just put the OEM tranny back in and sell tranny w/ new gears and LSD for what its worth.

Sure I would have prefeered to just open the gear box put in the LSD, but most every tranny builder I contacted advised against it. Adjusting lash and alignment on old bearings is risky. So I went the 'full monty'

A front LSD ain't for everyone, but I like it. Oh and there is the additional tire front tire wear, as I'm discovering. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Archived