LegacyGT.com

fake wood

belfer999

I know the pic, It's a pic from my PHONE! I felt bad because of "mbacis'" insulting choo-choo train illustration above. It came out nicely but the center section is now slightly raised due to the leather tucked under the plastic and re-attached. I'll take a hires pic and upload it later.

Anybody know about any nice trim kits to replace the center console / door pieces? I ended up with the black interior, so I have the silver stuff, but I'd like some aluminum or wood if it's out there.

John

Why yes, there happens to be a company called http://exoticwooddash.com that'll take care of you.

My car:

http://moojohn.com/subaru/woodgrain.jpg

Why yes, there happens to be a company called http://exoticwooddash.com that'll take care of you.

I used a wood kit from exoticwooddash.com in my 1995 Legacy. While it looks decent at first, I found that the pieces degrade rather quickly. The laminate separates from the wood backing, the adhesive doesn't stick to contoured parts, and the color fades over time. This is expecially true if you park your car in the sun a lot. Personally, I wouldn't recommend these kits.

Take no offense John M, everybody can personalize their cars to suit their own tastes. I just wanted to give a fair warning to others based on my experience.

As I said in the other thread where this was posted:

It's been on slightly more than a year now and it still looks as good as it did the day I bought it.

Eventually yeah, it'll probably start looking old. Any "kit" will do that though (say like OEM Toyota adhesive woodgrain for example). It's what we get for not having a stock wood finish. If a freakin Hyundai can have it, shouldn't our car?

I won't worry at all about the sun once I finally get the windows tinted.

If a freakin Hyundai can have it, shouldn't our car?

Which Hyundai has actual wood trim? 99.9% of all cars costing under $50k have "wood pattern" plastic trim much like the Legacy. IMO, Subaru really made the fake wood trim look and feel realistic.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Besides the fact that I hate the color, I also didn't get taupe because the wood is gay in the first place- it belongs in a 70's Buick- and because it doesn't even look halfway real.

Besides the fact that I hate the color, I also didn't get taupe because the wood is gay in the first place- it belongs in a 70's Buick- and because it doesn't even look halfway real.

Same here. I rushed to buy one of the last 2005 white Legacies with black interior because I thought the woodgrain looked out of place in an otherwise sleek interior (taupe interior is only available in white 2006 models). It's better suited for the more plush Outbacks like the LL Bean version.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Same here. I rushed to buy one of the last 2005 white Legacies with black interior because I thought the woodgrain looked out of place in an otherwise sleek interior (taupe interior is only available in white 2006 models). It's better suited for the more plush Outbacks like the LL Bean version.

I wouldn't even put it in there- wood just looks out of place in cars today- even those overpriced German shitboxes.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I liked my BMW wood, but those days are gone. Now I'm all about shiny plastics.

Hey Jedimaster, your pics kill me every time I see them. Who's the girl? Is that you?

John

Yeah, that's me. I look like that when I get my bikini wax.

I got the taupe interior with the wood and I love it. The wood was actually the clincher for getting that interior, every friggin car on the road has either dark charcoal or black interior, same old same old. Then again, I might be biased because of this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/Dotanukie/DSCN0743.jpg

Thats my TR6 and thats real wood on the dash, French walnut to be exact, car came from the factory that way. No offense to anyone who has the black interior, none taken for the "gay" comment either.:D I will agree that not all cars look good with wood trim, real or faux, depending on how much is used and where. I think the LGT uses just enough in the right places and it looks fairly realistic. Adds a bit of upscale character to it IMO.

Yeah, so woograin sucks but people think looking like an 80s boombox is high class? That crappy scratch-prone stuff that looks like my tape deck from 1982?

The OEM woodgrain looks like crap. There's no depth to it and it looks like the side of a 70s VCR. The stuff I bough is the same as any luxury car brand is -- real wood laminate under a clear coat.

So go ahead and hate on my woodgrain. Your Krylon special isn't so wonderful either.

Archived