LegacyGT.com

Dealership says new motor, thoughts?

I posted this in general and someone suggested this would be a better place. Forgot to mention the car has new plugs as of 10K ago.

Backstory: 70,000 original miles on ProTuned LGT Wagon. Has down, up, and intercooler. Tuned conservatively because its an auto.

Car every once and a while (maybe once a week for an hour or so) throughs a misfire code for cylinder 2,3, & 4.

Dealership checked plugs and didn't see any issue and wanted to do a top down test right away. Came back and said ringland issue and $6800 for a new short block.

Cylinder #1: 130 PSI

Cylinder #2: 120 PSI

Cylinder #3: 130 PSI

Cylinder #4: 130 PSI

I don't expect a 13 year old car to have amazing compression and clearly cylinder 1,3,& 4 have lost some but do you think a new short block is really the answer?

The car drives fine, I don't notice any loss of power. I also don't get on it that much. For a being ProTuned I do city driving maybe 20 miles a day.

My other dilemma is I was planning on selling the car in the next MONTH (of course my luck) because I need a SUV for my growing family. I plan on being up front with the buyer of the car about the issue but what do you think is a fair price for a car like this?

• 7 months later...

Archived