LegacyGT.com

Oil leak from driver side top of motor, but not the oil pressure switch?

Howdy all! After extensive googling I can't seem to find what might be leaking on my car. It's a 2009 Legacy 2.5L N/A. The driver side top/front of the motor has oil caked up pretty much just on the oil fill tube and directly below it. The pressure switch which seems to be a common problem is bone dry. But wherever the leak is coming from it's gotten bad enough to spill down onto something hot enough to burn it off and cause smoke to come out from under the hood and even enter the freaking cabin which obviously is pretty miserable.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets back in 2013 but I guess it's possible they're leaking again. Below are a couple of pictures for reference.

I'm going to stop by the parts store on the way home and pick up a can of degreaser to clean the area. But does anybody have any ideas in the meantime?

iRjzDrl.jpg

Ew3LJg2.jpg

The oil fill tube gasket may be to blame. Although probably very rare. Depending as to how many miles you’ve put on the car since 2013, it may be time to redo the valve cover gaskets. Not trying to be rude, but it’d probably help if you cleaned the engine bay as it seems to be covered in mud. Also keep in mind places like O’Reillys sell engine oil UV dye that you can add to the oil and check with a black light to see where the source of the leak if from. Again it’d help if you cleaned your engine bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The oil fill tube gasket may be to blame. Although probably very rare. Depending as to how many miles you’ve put on the car since 2013, it may be time to redo the valve cover gaskets. Not trying to be rude, but it’d probably help if you cleaned the engine bay as it seems to be covered in mud. Also keep in mind places like O’Reillys sell engine oil UV dye that you can add to the oil and check with a black light to see where the source of the leak if from. Again it’d help if you cleaned your engine bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I degreased it all pretty good the other day and then crawled up under the next day to see where the new oil was coming from. Seeping out the bottom of the timing cover.

It ended up being the crank seal. It was sticking so far out it was rubbing the crank pulley. Swapped it out and she's good to go again!

Archived