LegacyGT.com

STI springs

latintrpt

I was wondering if anybody had the STI springs on their car with everything else being stock in the suspension. Will using just STI springs mess up anything else as far as the suspension goes or would it be better to buy coilovers and stuff like that? Also how do the STI springs ride?

Thanks

I don't have them but I do have some specs that might help.

- If you install them, you need to get an alignment done. You're changing not only part of the suspension geometry but more importantly, the simple act of undoing the struts and putting them back in again, warrants an adjustment to the alignment to make sure things are good to go.

- The STi springs are supposed to drop the car 1/2 inch all the way around. If you search the forums, you will find that people's experiences vary on the amount of drop.

- There are no worries about using the stock struts with the STi springs. If you go with a severe drop, you may need new struts to accomodate.

- Coilovers will be much more expensive. Probably cheaper to go with springs and sway bars first. If you still need more, then go with the coilovers.

- Spring rates on the STi springs are 223 lbs/in front, 337 lbs/in rear. Stock springs are rated at 196/308. In comparison, Tein H-Techs are 220/310 and Tein S-Techs are 230/340. I'm sure others will chime in with specs on other brands of springs (iON et. al.).

Hope this helps.

get a set of iON sport spec springs...do a search in the Suspension forum. There is a Group buy #3 finishing up right now. Then another GB deal will start in April. Price should be under $400 shipped. iON designed the springs to work with the USDM struts. STI pinks were designed with the JDM struts in mind.

iON:

Drop (Fr: 1.2", Rear 1")

Front (Progressive):

1" 40n/mm

2" 52n/mm

Rear:

67n/mm

Front:

1" 228 lbs/in (keeping 95% stock ride quality +16% over stock 196lbs./in.)

2" 297 lbs/in. (really digging in +52% over stock 196lbs/in.)

Rear:

382 lbs./in. (+24% over stock 308lbs./in.)

I haven't heard any complaints from the guys from GB#1 or GB#2.

It might ride like dump if you do just the STI springs.

Please elaborate,,,I've had pinks on my last two Subaru's(WRXand STi),the ride firmed up some, nothing drastic, but not bad/harsh/bumpy at all.

Only downside I see is "possible" premature wear on the USDM struts.

Rudy

it doesn't ride poorly at all. if you search you will find some reviews of pinks with stock struts. I had that setup for a while. Ride was quite firm but not harsh. Dropped the car approx an inch all around. I wd bet that you will see some premature wear on your struts as you likely wd with any other spring that lowers the car at all. my only beef with the pinks on stock struts was that rebound on severe expansion joints and things of that kind felt somewhat poorly controlled. so it isn't a setup to beat on at the track, IMO, but great for less severe use and for general enjoyment. ions may provide similar improvements while being a little gentler, according to some. progressive springs can be a better compromise for a car that spends a lot of time on bad roads....
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

There is a big difference in ride quality between the sedan and wagon. The sedan will be a lot more stiffer than the wagon. If you can get your hands on a JDM Bilstein struts + the STI springs I think you will be happy.

I'm interested in getting the STi pink springs, but I won't do it until I can get some JDM Bilstein struts too, which is what the pink springs were really designed to go with from what I understand. It's not enough for me that the USDM struts "can" be used with the pinks. If I'm going to do any suspension mods, I want to do it right, with properly matched springs and struts.

I live in chicago so obviously it snows here. Will i have a problem if i install these iON springs and i use them in the winter?

The only issue will be is that your ride height is reduce by a little over an inch...maybe 30mm in front and 25mm in the back. So it's really just up to you...a 5 inch snow fall now will be like a 6 inch snow fall before springs....etc. Remember too, your body roll, front end dip while braking and squat during acceleration will be greatly reduced with the iON springs, thus giving you better control of the car in the snow.

The only issue will be is that your ride height is reduce by a little over an inch...maybe 30mm in front and 25mm in the back. So it's really just up to you...a 5 inch snow fall now will be like a 6 inch snow fall before springs....etc. Remember too' date=' your body roll, front end dip while braking and squat during acceleration will be greatly reduced with the iON springs, thus giving you better control of the car in the snow.[/quote']

The addition of a dedicated snow tire would also help greatly....with or without lower springs.

I have Pinks w/ stock struts on a LGTL MT wagon. How do they ride? I have a set of iONs ready and waiting to go on, as well as a set of JDM Spec B Bilsteins, which is to say I find Pinks to be unacceptably harsher than stock. Would they work better with the Bilsteins? Guess I'll never know because I'm going straight to the iON/Bilstein setup - no time and energy for two spring swaps.

I have Pinks w/ stock struts on a LGTL MT wagon. How do they ride? I find Pinks to be unacceptably harsher than stock. QUOTE]

To each his own but,IMHO,your comparison is just wrong .I just installed the STi pinks on my stock struts, 5eat wagon,,unacceptably harsh compared to stock?? No way!

Somewhat firmer ?yes,less body roll yes,lower the car about 3/4 inch yes.

But harsh ride?? nope.

I've had the pink springs on 3 other Subarus on stock struts and JDM struts and in no way was the ride harsh. ie. they all have firmed things up some and lowered the car a tad,thats about it,no surprises .Plus I'm not running stock tires but stiff sidewall types,BFG KDWs,Bridgestone Re070s.

I posted this so others wont get the wrong impression of the pink springs.

Rudy

I have Pinks w/ stock struts on a LGTL MT wagon. How do they ride? I have a set of iONs ready and waiting to go on, as well as a set of JDM Spec B Bilsteins, which is to say I find Pinks to be unacceptably harsher than stock.

[sCRATCHING HEAD]

Waitaminute. You said that the STi springs (223 and 337) are harsher than iON's (228/297 and 382)? How is a stiffer spring going to lessen the harshness in ride quality? Then you're going to add a set of JDM Bilsteins to the mix? ??? ??? ???? I sure hope you're not expecting to be riding like pudding in a cloud.

Please, please, please, explain what I'm missing. icon_confused.gif

[/sCRATCHING HEAD]

[sCRATCHING HEAD]

Waitaminute. You said that the STi springs (223 and 337) are harsher than iON's (228/297 and 382)? How is a stiffer spring going to lessen the harshness in ride quality? Then you're going to add a set of JDM Bilsteins to the mix? ??? ??? ???? I sure hope you're not expecting to be riding like pudding in a cloud.

Please, please, please, explain what I'm missing. icon_confused.gif

[/sCRATCHING HEAD]

I was thinking the same,,,how the heck are the Bilstiens/Ion setup going to be less harsh then the stock strut/Sti spring setup.Somebody may be in fr a surprise or maybe we are BOTH missing something.

Rudy

ps. I know the Ions are progressive but it's not going to make that much difference.

While the iONs are progressive, the initial inch of travel is set at 228 which is stiffer than the STi spring, which is at 223. Now if the iONs were like 196/220 and 315, then I would agree that the iONs weren't as harsh as the STi's but 'better' than stock. But even if this was the case, the addition of JDM Bilsteins would throw the 'less harsh' ride feeling out the window.

I'm not saying hal9e3 is full of it. Granted, I'm rolling on stock springs so I don't have the seat of the pants analysis but looking at the pure numbers, I'm having difficulty understanding.

and if those are the rev.A bilsteins, it's a gonna be firm. but maybe the difference is explained in part (other than being subjective) that the ion's are progressive up front...? (isn't that the case? too lazy to search...)
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

and if those are the rev.A bilsteins, it's a gonna be firm. but maybe the difference is explained in part (other than being subjective) that the ion's are progressive up front...? (isn't that the case? too lazy to search...)

I've read that the iONs are 228/297 and 382. By that I meant that it was 228 for the first inch and 297 beyond that in the progressive front spring. The rear spring appears to be a straight 382. Even in the first inch of travel for the fronts, it would still be stiffer than the STi's.

All numbers quoted are in lbs per square inch.

I've read that the iONs are 228/297 and 382. By that I meant that it was 228 for the first inch and 297 beyond that in the progressive front spring. The rear spring appears to be a straight 382. Even in the first inch of travel for the fronts, it would still be stiffer than the STi's.

All numbers quoted are in lbs per square inch.

ion's feel good....95% as smooth as stock, body roll is greatly reduced, no front end dip when braking.

Archived