LegacyGT.com

2006 LGT AT fuel upgrades?

Hey all, I am getting a decent tax refund soon and I figured I would spend some of it finishing the mods that a previous owner started. As far as I know, it has:

the good:

COBB Intake

Parrin inlet pipe

AVO TMIC

TR billet TD05-18G

COBB 3 port BCS

COBB Downpipe

the bad:

stock injectors

stock fuel pump

stock catted UP

stock cat-back

I had a local shop dyno tune it after I got it and predictably they told me the fuel system was holding me back. This is my DD and I am not looking for huge power. what would you guys suggest for sizing for injectors for this? I plan to convert to top feed, is it worth getting a kit, or should I just shop for WRX rails etc?

If you’re tuned on an Accessport as small as possible injectors. DW740 side feeds and a DW65C would be the max you should even think about. If you’re open source, an EV14 topfeed conversion is a lot nicer. ‘07-‘09 Legacy or ‘08 - ‘14 WRX rails work fine for this.

The reason not to go big on an accessport is the ECU calculates the torque output it tells the TCU based on injector pulse width. If you put in bigger injectors these pulses obviously get shorter for the same fuel flow and thus power output. Unless you adjust how the ECU calculates this, it will report too low of a torque value to the transmission and it will eventually self destruct due to worn clutch packs. This was all figure out relatively recentslly, and the peramiters to fix this aren’t avalible in the Cobb software.

Pump wise DW65C if gas only, AEM 320lph if you’re thinking E85. I like the AEM pump a lot, but it’s actually TOO good and can cause some odd startup issues if you don’t need it’s performance.

Also you’ll want to get that stock up pipe cat out as soon as possible so it dosen’t wat your turbo.

The reason not to go big on an accessport is the ECU calculates the torque output it tells the TCU based on injector pulse width. If you put in bigger injectors these pulses obviously get shorter for the same fuel flow and thus power output. Unless you adjust how the ECU calculates this, it will report too low of a torque value to the transmission and it will eventually self destruct due to worn clutch packs. This was all figure out relatively recentslly, and the peramiters to fix this aren’t avalible in the Cobb software.

Pump wise DW65C if gas only, AEM 320lph if you’re thinking E85. I like the AEM pump a lot, but it’s actually TOO good and can cause some odd startup issues if you don’t need it’s performance.

Really, Cobb doesn't have it yet? I'm surprised - I thought their v2 or v3 would have added those. Does Ecutek?

Good to know about the AEM. What about Walbro? I have a plain Walbro 255.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2746063

This says DW has lots of failures.. :confused:

Thanks, I didn't know that about the TCU, good info. It is currently tuned with opensource, but I plan to pickup an Accessport as part of this upgrade.

Probably best to stay opensource then. Yes some tuners dont like it as they cant lock down access, but explain you NEED the calculated torque tuned. They'll need to get the definition from the 5EAT thread here or the romradier forums.

Really, Cobb doesn't have it yet? I'm surprised - I thought their v2 or v3 would have added those. Does Ecutek?

Ecutek has is on some cars, but I dont think ours. Nopers on Cobb, the don't even have it on the CVT WRX/FXT that would REALLY benefit from having it.

Good to know about the AEM. What about Walbro? I have a plain Walbro 255.

Old school gear type pump. There 400/450 is good, but the 255 is really dated at this point.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2746063

This says DW has lots of failures.. :confused:

Due to e85. They actually have a fairly low failure rate one pure gas. I think they didn't spec something properly to handle e85.

Old school gear type pump. There 400/450 is good, but the 255 is really dated at this point.

How are the 255s for reliability? That's what I'm worried about most at this point, although I'm thinking of MAYBE going flex fuel if Cobb ever comes out with something (or maybe Delicious). I do have a Hexmods F1, so I could probably live without the adjusted torque tables.

Can Open source support flex fuel?

Due to e85. They actually have a fairly low failure rate one pure gas. I think they didn't spec something properly to handle e85.

Good to know.

...., although I'm thinking of MAYBE going flex fuel if Cobb ever comes out with something (or maybe Delicious). I do have a Hexmods F1, so I could probably live without the adjusted torque tables.

Can Open source support flex fuel?

You could MerpMod your ECU for true flexfuel, or the Delicious tubing kit would also work with it. The latter hijacks IAT to act as a ghetto flex fuel so it’s not platform specific. You could actually DIY the Delicious kit for about 1/5 the cost.

Transgo/Hexmods VB does kind of the same thing (boost line pressure), but be careful not to go too big. From messing with the scaling, the Hexmods VB feels about the same as a 30% CT boost.

Archived