LegacyGT.com

the road was kinda wet

i was drivng this mourning

the road was kinda wet

i felt like doing quick accleration attack

so i was going about like 10mph in 1st gear...

stepped on it...

when boost kicked in, my RE92s were peeling out!!!!!

DAMN!!! i need to dyno my car :lol:

i dont know why but i was getting excited all day.

i even listed the mods that i'm gonna do in the future for like 30mins :lol:

i love LGT :)

can't wait till it snows in seattle

and, ofcourse, more mods ;)

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were you mourning? Also were you really going 10mph and not 12? The boost can be pretty harsh.

I had a good launch the other day. Traffic was heavy and I wanted to turn left on to a busy 4 lane road from a side st with no light. I slipped the clutch out at around 3000 and kept the gas in there and took off with a few chirps.

Aside from the tires complaining it was quite smooth. Take that traffic, a camry with a hood scoop just lunged across the road!

t23j -

Be sure to check your tire-pressures.

Rapidly changing temperatures that we're getting now in the fall-winter transition can drastically affect your tire pressures, leading to severe traction loss.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Peeling out RE92s in the wet weather are no thing to laugh at. I just had an accident with them and b/c of them in the rain.

Car is being repaired now and legal actions possibly against Bridgestone. PLEASE be careful! I thought the RE92s were fine before this too. Now I would be scared to even drive on them anymore in the wet

I will post all the details when the car is done. Which should be this week.

But you guys all know that Bridgestone pulled back and discontinued the RE92 right? And they did so due to poor compounding and substandard wet traction.....

But you guys all know that Bridgestone pulled back and discontinued the RE92 right? And they did so due to poor compounding and substandard wet traction.....

not according to the bridgestone website. They are still selling them on tirerack as well.

maybe reformulated them or something, but it doesnt look like they've been discontinued.

Well that is all smoke and mirrors. I called a bunch of tire places and they said that the RE92 is discontinued and they can't get them anymore to match the OEM tires that were on my car.

I believe you are right that they might have recompounded them and called them the same thing. Do a search on here and you will see other posts saying they were discontinued

Sounds like someone needs to learn how to drive in wet weather. No offense. They are stock tires, you can't get the same traction when its wet. I can see you may have hydroplaned, that has nothing to do with the compound of the tire, thats all tread design which these tires lack as well. It just seems silly to be sue happy because you may have pushed your tires too hard in wet slippery conditions.

Listen man, you have no idea what I just went through ok....

I am lucky to be ok nevermind alive. Don't pull the almighty "you need to learn how to drive" BS when you don't know what you are talking about.

I was going 40-45MPH conservatively around a normal turn. I can't get into all the details but you have no right or place to preach to me.

No one is sue happy, I just want my deductible back. and it wasn't even my idea. The adjustor suggested it. So don't start. I am lucky to even be typing ok! So yes I take offense!

And P.S. I think I know how to handle my car or others in any weather. Been doing it for 11 years with not ONE accident. Just keep your mouth shut. I am only trying to help other people questioning this tire

Matt,

Damn! :eek: Good thing you weren't hurt - but that definitely does suck! :(

Although I am not aware of the reason why the tire's been discontinued (rumored itself), I definitely remember from reading here that its demise was within the range of being rumored to "solidified rumor"/in-practice.

I'm sure that we'd all love to find out the exact reason why the RE92s were supposedly pulled as OEM, though.

Please keep us updated, bro.

---------

In any case, going back to the original topic at-hand:

I've got to say that even with various aftermarket tires, many perceived as "sticky," I've been able to break them loose, even with my relative lack of driving skill - especially from a standstill - by simply altering tire-pressure.

My latest run-in with this phenomenon was actually rather accidental/un-intentional, when the temps here in NE-Ohio dropped rapidly due to the seasonal shift.

I was running 39/37 f/r, "hot," with my 225 width Falken Ziex ZE-512s - which served me, and is serving me still, very well as a true all-season tradeoff - and on some heavily sprinkled streets, I actually managed to break-loose all four tires with a mildly aggressive launch! [This is with note to the fact that I've had nothing but *excellent* grip off-the-line in the past with these tires, even with my "Stage II" power-level.]

Needless to say, I stopped at the next available opportunity to check my tire pressures, and sure enough, all four had dipped below what I would have deemed "acceptable." 5 minutes later, I was grippin' and clawin' again, and the next weekend morning, I re-adjusted my pressures again, now for 38/36 f/r "cold" to compensate for winter temps.

Of course, this is something that our own Keefe also recommends, especially at this time of the year.

Remember, everyone, our tires require proper air-pressure to work at their best. :) This is applicable whether you've got the s(t)uck Brickstones or great aftermarket rubber!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

As I said before I just want to help people be aware of the issue with these RE92s. They are NOT normal performing tires and will give on you without notice. I am not a hot rodder and I don't drive like a loony. In Fact my woman tells me I drive like a grandpa b/c I am always trying to save gas. So any tire that just gives out in misting wet road conditions in a mild right turn without warning on a rally based AWD car is very dangerous.

I hit 3 guardrails people. No warning from the 92's just 360's and crash at 45mph

I am just so angry b/c i used to defend these tires

Wow, i still defend these tires... well they SEEM to handle better then the pilot alpines i had on my FWD car last year... i guess its the AWD thats making them seem grippy, right?

Anyway, is there any news on a recall for these tires?

EDIT: but to get back on topic, yeah what people are saying, the temperatures changing like mad, so that could be resulting into poor-er traction on launches

As much as we would all like new tyres, there isn't going to be a recall. They may well be crappy tyres but can you imagine the effect on Subaru if they admitted that they were dangerous ? Never gonna happen.

Personally, I think they are ok, yes I break traction easily with them in the wet, but I know that's gonna happen so I take it easy, unless I want to do it on purpose for fun.

Matt, glad to hear you're ok. Hopefully you'll get everything sorted out to your satisfaction.

I guess this begs the question about tire pressures. The sticker on the door recommends 35/33 with the stock RE92's. What do you all follow when you change to a different brand? Stay with the 35/33's or use that manufacturer's recommended pressures? I understand that you can change tire pressures to get the car to handle differently but what do you use as a baseline?

As I said before I just want to help people be aware of the issue with these RE92s. They are NOT normal performing tires and will give on you without notice. I am not a hot rodder and I don't drive like a loony. In Fact my woman tells me I drive like a grandpa b/c I am always trying to save gas. So any tire that just gives out in misting wet road conditions in a mild right turn without warning on a rally based AWD car is very dangerous.

I hit 3 guardrails people. No warning from the 92's just 360's and crash at 45mph

I am just so angry b/c i used to defend these tires

Not enough information. How long had it been "misting"? When was the last time it rained/misted? How sharp of a turn was it? Speed limit of the road you were on? Temperature? How long had you been driving before the accident?

You don't have to be a hot rodder to get in an accident due to poor road conditions. The AWD drive system may be rally based/inspired/whatever but the driver is the one in control of that system.

also remember that the speed limit posted is for ideal conditions and does not account for wet roads or anything. it is driver's responsibility to account for changing conditions.

i am not saying it isnt the tire's fault, i am just saying that is what the tire company will say in response.

Matt - Agreed, incidents like this does not inspire confidence, to say the least, in those of us - myself included, who either used-to or still do defend the RE92s as acceptable "everyday" tires for the conservative, "average driver" crowd.

I just can't believe (I can believe it, actually, as you and now several others have reported these problems, but you get what I'm saying, right, bro?) that these tires are so unforgiving in the wet, particularly as they do signal break-away rather decently in the dry.

Certainly, it seems that you, miles, and others are pointing out the main weakness in the RE92s - wet cornering seems to be a HUGE shortcoming with them. I remember that even while at stock power levels, with tires at proper pressure, that I could easily induce 4-wheel drifts when the roads were wet.

Lil_sol, I truly would wager that you're reaping the benefit of the AWD system. I was never so impressed in a vehicle as I was this past Mother's Day, during our rather unexpected snowstorm, when I transitioned between my TSi (300 wHP, all, unfortunately, to the front wheels!) to my wife's (still-stock) WRX, shod with RE92s. The Rex just seemed to want to dance circles around my TSi.

Archived