LegacyGT.com

how does RE92 handles in snow??

team23jordan

i just got rota g-forces. thought about gettin AS tires but i have stockers to use during winter :)

i'm gonna get summer tires for my new rims and might get a set of winter tires for stockers...

but i don't know if i'll have enough money to do that.

so i'd like to know how they handle in snow. tread design looks like it can handle some snow pretty well

but you never know ;)

anybody drove RE92s in snow yet??

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drove mine all winter last year and I didn't have any problems. This included a number of highway miles in pretty significant snow. My biggest concern was hitting a pothole and having them explode on me. That being said, I bought Blizzaks for this winter.

Lots of threads out there arguing pro's and con's of the stockers.

General consensus is that unless you live in serious snow country, or you have enough spare cash to buy a set of winter tyres, the stockers will do you just fine. But remember, they are all season tyres, not particularly good at anything,

they suck...but i made it thru some bad roads...if you can drive in snow youll be okay

I concur.

Do not put these tires to the test in the snow!!! Drive cautiously, as our AWD looses much of its appeal with these tires on. As someone mentioned above, ABS will come on shockingly early - leading to unexpected sliding.

I share my opinion after living with these tires for 40K miles on my '02 WRX (and now the Leg) - particularly with moderate wear on the treads, they will downright scare you...:icon_surp

thanks for the comments guys

i guess i'll be gettin w300 iceburgs pretty soon

unless you get a sh!tload of snow every winter, they'll be fine. (in my opinion)

I survived winter on them last year and they were fine, no problems at all. You just have to be smart and realize that it's snow and your traction isnt so great. If you take it easy, the RE-92's can provide all the grip you need.

I wouldnt suggest trying to go out and do time trials up and down a mountian on them though.

I'll be holding onto mine for another winter.

Hum.....there seems to be a thread on this very topic - posted just in the past two or three days - that was deleted ?

Either that, or I can't find it....

Anyway:

t23j, if you can drive conservatively and carefully, you'll be just fine. Again, mind your tire pressures, too.

My wifey's Rex made it through last spring's Mother's Day snowstorm without any hickups at all on the stocker RE92s.

However, keep in-mind that these are all-season tires, and not the grippier ones at-that - their performance envelope is easily exceeded.

------

Nsaglibene -

I have yet to try the Ziex on my LGT in snow, but if my experience with them on my latest two DSMs (one of which puts about 300 horses to the front wheels) holds out, they should be much better than the RE92s.

Brother jim1969 has had personal experience with the Ziex as well as the Pirelli P-Zero Nero and Proxes 4s in snow, and rates the Ziex as well as if not better than the latter two (which he rated superior to the Ziex in the dry and wet).

From my front-driver experience, I still think that the Ziex have much to make up for in terms of snow/slush traction both in cornering and in getting started from a dead standstill, but seeing as they are an all-season compromise, and at their low cost, I truly can't fault them much.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i'm just gonna get'em anyways

better to spend 400 bucks for a set of tires than gettin in an accident

i read reviews of RE92 on tirerack and most people complained about how it handles

in snow

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

What's a better tire that can replace the RE92s for year round? We get a lot of snow and ice here in Rochester but i can get around in worse tires than the RE92 with FWD. I'd rather have better tires (preferrably affordable).

Any suggestions?

Look at Nokian WRs. All-season but snow-rated. Could be run all year round. 50,000 miles tread warranty. Much better than RE92 on all surfaces. Not super cheap but could be had cheaper than RE92. Check Nokian group buy in Classified section of forums.

Look at Nokian WRs. All-season but snow-rated. Could be run all year round. 50,000 miles tread warranty. Much better than RE92 on all surfaces. Not super cheap but could be had cheaper than RE92. Check Nokian group buy in Classified section of forums.

Yeah I was looking, these are definitely what I want. I'd rather sacrifice some dry performance to gain wet/snow but these seem to be better at everything!

I made it through a pretty bad snowstorm driving through Michigan at night with these, but, I never want to do it again. It was really windy and I felt like I was going to be blown off the road. You'll live if you drive right with them, but you'll be on the edge of your seat. It was enough to make me get better tires for this winter (got some Nokian WRs).

What's a better tire that can replace the RE92s for year round? We get a lot of snow and ice here in Rochester but i can get around in worse tires than the RE92 with FWD. I'd rather have better tires (preferrably affordable).

Any suggestions?

i heard from people that nokian hakkah is great at dry/wet/snow

Pirelli nero M+S is another option. better dry/wet tractino but i dont know about snow

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Yeah I was looking, these are definitely what I want. I'd rather sacrifice some dry performance to gain wet/snow but these seem to be better at everything!

I'm working with Dunn to see if I can get a deal on the WR's. Would you be interested? Won't be as good as the Waukegan deal but you'll have a local dealer. I'm in the Rochester area as well and drove the 92's on my Impreza for 1 year before replacing them. Not worth it when we had a bad white out. I bought the GT this year and I'm not even interested in trying a winter on them. Hollywood currently has the best deal but they are expensive after that for removing them and remounting them every year. Plus no road hazard. Tire World of Webster is the other option but I've not had good luck with them before. Let me know.

Archived