LegacyGT.com

Anyone know how to take apart the GT Leather Seats apart?

Xenonk

I am anxious to hear how the plastic backing comes off. I've got the cloth seats and i am thinking about performing a sort of mod i saw on nasioc with pulling the springs back and little to have a little more give in the seat back. I think i might do the same from under the seat as well.

• 4 months later...

ok, this weekend (finally after doing some research and actually some help from another set of Technical Service Manuals), there's 3 plastic push clips at the top of the plastic backing.

Use a pry bar or a screw driver and wedge the tip in there and pry to the top edge off from the 3 plastic push pins.. be very careful and take your time prying it slowly and with slow focre, or you'll end up breaking the 3 clips. The panel will pop off on the top half and you lift up and the panel just falls right out. Pretty simple.. all this time I thought it was the bottom that was held by clips, but it's actually hooked in at the bottom.

The lumbar support was easy to fix since it was the metal bar that flexed out and popped out of dowel hole. I just had to bend the bar back in just enough to thread the end of the bar to fit back into the hole (think of it as the same way as a toilet paper roller holder). It was a 2 minute fix.

I will try to see if I can order another PASSENGER side backseat cover (the one with a map mesh pocket) from the dealer and install it into the driver seat.. I'll take pics of that later when I install the new backing plate and put it as a "how to" mod.

Keefe

• 1 year later...
ok, this weekend (finally after doing some research and actually some help from another set of Technical Service Manuals), there's 3 plastic push clips at the top of the plastic backing.

Use a pry bar or a screw driver and wedge the tip in there and pry to the top edge off from the 3 plastic push pins.. be very careful and take your time prying it slowly and with slow focre, or you'll end up breaking the 3 clips. The panel will pop off on the top half and you lift up and the panel just falls right out. Pretty simple.. all this time I thought it was the bottom that was held by clips, but it's actually hooked in at the bottom.

The lumbar support was easy to fix since it was the metal bar that flexed out and popped out of dowel hole. I just had to bend the bar back in just enough to thread the end of the bar to fit back into the hole (think of it as the same way as a toilet paper roller holder). It was a 2 minute fix.

I will try to see if I can order another PASSENGER side backseat cover (the one with a map mesh pocket) from the dealer and install it into the driver seat.. I'll take pics of that later when I install the new backing plate and put it as a "how to" mod.

Hey, thanks for this. I had mine break for a second time and since it's now out of warranty had to see what I could do myself. Took me about 2 minutes - I just took a large flat screwdriver with a cloth wrapped around it and it popped out pretty quick. My left side had just popped out of the hole and got it put back. No more problems!

Now, how to get it to STAY in the hole....

Can you take pics to show us how you got the plastic off the back? I got leather seats that I wanna add foam insulation to bolster the laterals for more support before looking for aftermarket seats,..

Can you take pics to show us how you got the plastic off the back? I got leather seats that I wanna add foam insulation to bolster the laterals for more support before looking for aftermarket seats,..

I could, but it's not really worth the time. Just start at the top-right corner prying gently but firmly with something like a large screwdriver covered with a soft cloth and move your way to the left. Once you get the first one, the other two are easy. There are two tabs in the middle on the sides that'll pop right out, then the bottom part just lifts off.

it's really not hard to take off once you figure what's there.. I'll try to take pics if I can.. lately I've been soo busy with work and all that I havent been around to post up or be on the forums as much as I use to.
Keefe

Archived