LegacyGT.com

99 legacy tranny problems? Or something else?

Hey everybody I'm brand new to the forum. Looks like there is alot of good info on here.

So to my problem. First of 2.2 automatic 105k.

It's got some typical symptoms of what I am finding online about what is happening.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd fine, most of the time 2nd to third is ok but it hesitates, gets to about 3500-4000 rpm before shifting. Now we are about at 35-40 mph. When I take my foot off the gas and barely put the pedal down it feels jerky, rpms increase before what it feels like is the tranny engaging, like the car tugs. Same thing at 60-70 mph on the freeway.

Any solves for this problem?

Thanks guys

there is a known issue with the first few 2-3 shifts on cold operation due to accumulator charge delay particularly in cold weather. The solution is to change the external cartridge filter, internal filter and then refill with Valvoline synthetic fluid. drive a few miles and then drain and fill again with Valvoline fluid. Repeat a third time and the problem should be pretty much gone. This also solved my problem of load reversal shock.. (what is happening when you let your foot off of the gas)

as long as the forreter transmission has the same front differential gearing as your rear differential you are good...

Archived