LegacyGT.com

2001 subaru legacy awd ej22 automatic trans differential question

Cmbonni

I'm working on a client's 01 subaru legacy who I was working on because the axle stub pulled out on them while they where driving. I slipped the stub back in securely without much force but found it was pouring differential fluid. I pulled the cv and retainer and replaced the seal. I neglected to replace the oring around the retainer and after installing the assembly I found that the differential was still leaking fluid, not to the extent pre-repair which was a literal stream of differential fluid but a small trickle causing the exhaust to send smoke signals to the next state over.

I lifted the front end, took off the tire, locked the driver side tire so the passenger side could spin and listened, theirs a noticeable amount of noise but it's coming from the hub, I think I got sand between the hub and cv so I have to pull it, spray it with cleaner and regrease it. It looked like a droplet of differential fluid came from the exterior of the retainer so I expect the oring failed. This is a time sensitive job and the client is a close personal friend who needs this vehicle running in a few days. I can't wait for the oring and there's no subaru dealerships within 50 miles of me. Does anyone know the retainer oring size for a generic hardware store oring replacement.

Archived