LegacyGT.com

Dude...where's my tires? My first dyno trip

Spaceman Spiff

So I went and took my 05 OBXT to the dyno to get a dyno-tune. A few days later I noticed that my right rear tire is beyond bald. And my left rear had about 20%. Now these tires (Nexen SU1) have 3K on them and all had 80-90% tread. I had just replaced the rear shocks the week before and I checked the tread at that time, and they check out fine. Fronts are still where they were (like new).

Can this happen on a dyno? I can't even begin to imagine almost exclusively burning off one tire through a couple hundred miles of stop-n-go commute. I've owned dozens of AWD Subarus and I can't remember ever spinning my tires once. I called the dyno place and they practically didn't believe it could even happen. I don't know how it could be anything but the dyno. I haven't checked with my tuner yet. Any thoughts.

Stephen

You mentioned that your replaced your rear shocks so possibly your alignment might be off? You'd be surprised at how fast you can wear out tires from excessive toe

But it's even treadwear. And we're talking like 4 days and 250 miles. Judging by the treadwear, the toe looks pretty good. 😁

But it's even treadwear. And we're talking like 4 days and 250 miles. Judging by the treadwear, the toe looks pretty good. 😁

You'd be amazed. I wore a pair of tires down to cords from near brand new in only 160 kms because my toe was out pretty severely. It would be really strange if it were the dyno because unless the car happened to slip off the rear rollers and get stuck between the ground and the spinning roller burning away rubber

Archived