LegacyGT.com

5EAT - Overdrive Shudder

jmenacker

First time poster. DIY dad new to Subaru. Son picked up a very clean '06 Legacy Premium automatic with 165K on the clock last summer. Car is his 150 mile round trip daily commuter and worked great during summer/fall.

Once weather turned frigid, he experienced occasional severe shudder (like an out of balance washing machine) for short periods during highway speed upshifts. Shudder lasts anywhere from seconds to a couple of minutes, then is gone. Subsequent highway speed upshifts on same trip are usually fine but sometimes not.

I drained ATF from pan, replaced with about six quarts of Subaru HD ATF and changed the ATF filter with a genuine Subaru ATF filter. Transmission operated without issues for a couple of weeks but the highway upshift shudder returned.

I suggested he try using sport mode as my experience is that sport mode locks out overdrive on most vehicles. No shuddering has occurred during past two days of using sport mode.

Search results seem to be limited to 2-3 shift issues. Please let me know of any ideas on where to start on an overdrive issue. I planned on taking the car to the local Subaru dealer late next week, but am happy to repair myself if possible, or freshen fluid in the pan a few more times if anyone has had success with this issue by doing so.

TL/DR - 5EAT occasional transmission shudder upshifting to OD - what to look at?

Regards,

Joe M in WV

Thanks for the reply. Wheels are clean with fresh snow tires. The issue seems to be limited to engagement of overdrive. The severe washboard ride hasn't yet occurred under any other circumstances.

The external transmission filter was replaced a few weeks ago with an OE filter from the dealer.

Regards,

Joe M in WV

I found an "Oil Strainer Assembly". Is this the internal filter being referenced?

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/OIL-STRAINER-ASSEMBLY-TRANSMISSION/49242226/31728AA121.html.

If so, then thanks for the reference. Pan was not dropped as had thought the only filter was the external one. Will try to drop pan this weekend and flush the screen clean.

Joe M in WV

• 2 weeks later...

We took the car to the local dealership for diagnostics since the issue seemed to be specific to the overdrive circuit. I figured they would have diagnostic equipment and/or experience available to determine root cause of the overdrive engagement shudder.

Unfortunately, things appear to have spiraled out of control. The dealership claims that a coolant hose "blew off" while testing and the engine overheated. Head gasket job is recommended with the possibility of engine replacement if the heads cannot be decked straight.

I don't take issue with anyone noting that a head gasket service may be required on a car with 175K on the odometer. However, the car hadn't shown any overheating or performance issues in the past six months of ownership and there was no sign of any water in the oil during either of the oil changes we did - last one done was less than a month ago. If damage was done due to overheating, then I suspect that the damage was directly related to excessive running of the engine after the "coolant hose blew".

Service department is closed for the weekend. We plan on trying to assess options at the dealership on Monday when decision makers are available. At a minimum we are hoping they split cost of any head work as some of the damage seems to be related to overheating the engine in their possession.

Worst thing is we are no closer to resolving the overdrive engagement issue as service could not replicate the problem so no action taken.

Joe M in WV

I would be talking to a lawyer and having them pay every penny...They are most deff. at fault for running car after hose blew and destroying engine...Sorry this happen but at least it was at the Subie dealer...See what they say but im praying they pay for a new engine for you...GL

We were informed that the upper radiator hose developed a leak - it did not "blow off". I'm not sure who used the former terminology, son or tech. The dealer replaced the hose but did find hydrocarbons in the coolant. They recommended head gasket replacement based on hydrocarbons showing up in the coolant.

I've personally changed engine oil twice and neither time was there any evidence of coolant in the oil. I followed my son home approximately 20 miles on the highway and didn't notice any smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Service manager said he wouldn't recommend driving the car for commuting duty (150 miles round trip). He also recommended not spending any additional funds on repair with 175K on the odometer with HG and OD issues. Since the original issue of overdrive engagement shudder didn't present itself, no further diagnostics were performed on the transmission. Service manager said he suspected the torque converter. I imagine that a torque converter issue would present through all gears, but I really know nothing about automatic transmissions other than once they develop issues, they usually become money pits.

Its a shame because the car is quite clean inside and out with no notable fluid leaks or signs of abuse. We are probably going to trade the car in as soon as a viable replacement is found, as he is afraid driving the car regularly might lead to blowing a head gasket completely - thus eliminating remaining value for a trade in.

Thanks for taking time to share thoughts on the issue.

Best regards,

Joe M in WV

• 3 weeks later...

Son needed a daily for his 150 mile daily round trip commute. Picked up a lower mileage manual trans '02 BMW 325ix. I'm more familiar with older German rides, so hopefully will be able get a jump on maintenance issues.

I took the '06 Legacy SE out for a spin to see if I could reproduce the transmission shudder my son had reported. Sure enough after a mile or so the car started to shimmy doing 45 mph. It felt a lot like tired control arm bushings - however, there also seemed to be a feeling of lack of power. Shudder was continuous at varying intensity from hardly noticeable to washing machine with large off balance load. When car was in motion, the vibration was there through all transmission selector settings, including neutral.

Heading back home the car began pulling hard to the left when braking. Got home and checked rotors for excessive heat. It had been lightly raining during the drive. Front driver side rotor seemed fine. Passenger side front wheel area was steaming and stinking from behind the wheel. I'm hoping that the issue all along has been a stuck brake pad or slider. Hope to investigate this coming weekend.

Regards,

Joe M in WV

Archived