LegacyGT.com

Notches in trans behind torque converter seal?

whisky

Had to pull motor for head gasket rebuild and of course did not seat the torque converter properly when reinstalling the motor. I never ran it but had to pull the motor again. Also because I am an idiot, I reset the Torque converter and reinstalled the motor without checking to be sure the oil seal and pump shaft were ok so of course when I started it up... atf fluid started POURING out from the bottom. SO.... motor comes back out, I see the seal is damaged but just one little nick... doesn't seem significant enough to cause the extent of leakage I had. I removed the seal and found these two "notches" in the trans case itself... not sure if they are normal or not and have not been able to find any pictures depicting this area in enough detail. It seems like a very logical place for leakage to occur (especially if the seal is damaged over it, like mine was but it also looks like they are supposed to be there so I don't know what to think. If you have had your torque converter seal and remember these or not, please let me know, thanks.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/fusion52/trans%20notchs.jpg

• 1 month later...
I don't remember off the top of my head, but that looks factory. I could take a look at some of trans at work on Monday to compare. I believe there should be a small spring that sits around on the inside of the inner lip on the seal (like many other seals) that puts tension on the inner lip to press against whatever surface its' meant to seal against, in this case, the torque converter. It doesn't take too much force to knock that spring out, if it does, it will leak. On that note, check the torque converter too to make sure there are no sharp edges or pitting on the seal mating surface that could've nicked the seal.

Archived