LegacyGT.com

renew undercoating or not?

I bought a 2009 Outback inline 6 from Carmax (50,000 current miles). I had to order the only car that I really wanted from Vermont. It has considerable rust under the bottom -- blame Vermont, I guess. It does not (yet) threaten real damage to body panels and the like, but I'm not sure about exhaust system, brake tubing, etc.

So ... is it worth it to have the underside blasted (or whatever they do nowadays) and then new undercoat. Or did Subaru do a good enough job to begin with that I do not need to worry about this??? After all, I guess they assume Outbacks will see all kinds of lousy road conditions.

Thanks

I would glance over everything first, especially in the peak/trap door panel for the rear brake line junction, and inspect gas tank lines up onto tank from below through the passenger rear wheel well. As well just other overall points. But if those all look real clean, I would just have it washed underneath, drive it and dry it. Then undercoat it, we have Ziebart local to me who does a fair job.

Archived