LegacyGT.com

2006 outback 2.5i Dash Kit Suggestion

Redryan98

Hi All. I recently installed a Sony head unit I bought from crutchfield along with sub/amp and backup camera. Not a fun project but for the most part everything is working great. I am disappointed in the scosche dash kit that I received from crutchfield though. The radio sits too recessed in the dash kit so it makes it tough to use the volume knob. Also the finish on the kit does not match the stock trim at all.

Can anyone suggest another kit that matches the Subaru interior finish and allows the radio to sit flush? Ive seen kits from Metra and American International that look like viable options. Anyone have experience with either of these, or another one that works well for you? I talked to crutchfield but they don't sell any other options and weren't very helpful.

Thanks!

dashkit1.thumb.jpg.70f1af653c4ba4940e580f145567211a.jpg

Dashkit2.thumb.jpg.0ea9f99e065bd5bfa07ab178aaad0e00.jpg

dashkit3.thumb.jpg.7b5284d4ae2a6245a31ec3bca00e01fd.jpg

Mine is a JDM kit with the Sony headunit like yours. The HU fits well and the finish matches my interior decent but it’s also not a perfect kit since it’s made for RHD. It can be trimmed a bit to fit pretty nice though. But I ended up retrofitting the steering wheel with controls, so I don’t use the knob as much.

IMG_1439.thumb.JPG.66c31b1012ebe411980c16fe4c2b627b.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a JDM kit with the Sony headunit like yours. The HU fits well and the finish matches my interior decent but it’s also not a perfect kit since it’s made for RHD. It can be trimmed a bit to fit pretty nice though. But I ended up retrofitting the steering wheel with controls, so I don’t use the knob as much.

[ATTACH]260277[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your setup looks really nice! I'd love to find a JDM one in black for mine, but since I have the manual HVAC controls I don't think there are any options. If I'm wrong on that, please let me know!

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I had a Metra in my 06 Legacy. Only had a single DIN with cubby though, so I cannot comment on fit for a double DIN. There was a little space on both sides of the single HU so it might work well. Finish was well matched, but I had black interior with silver accents.

I had a Metra in my 06 Legacy. Only had a single DIN with cubby though, so I cannot comment on fit for a double DIN. There was a little space on both sides of the single HU so it might work well. Finish was well matched, but I had black interior with silver accents.

Thanks for the feedback. I went with the "American International" version and its a lot better. Not perfect but good enough. If I ever need another one I'll try the Metra

Archived