LegacyGT.com

5sp manual strength

I'm new to these forums, but I've done a search and found nothing. I know it's really early to ask this since it's a brand new car, but does anyone know about the strength of the 2.5GT's gearbox? I'm just wandering if it's gonna end up bein anything like the wrx tranny's or if Subaru got smart and beefed it up.

[quote name='sspicollo8']I'm new to these forums, but I've done a search and found nothing. I know it's really early to ask this since it's a brand new car, but does anyone know about the strength of the 2.5GT's gearbox? I'm just wandering if it's gonna end up bein anything like the wrx tranny's or if Subaru got smart and beefed it up.[/quote] No it's not like the glass tranny in the WRX. Its been re-inforced. What it's limits are...I dunno. But, lets just say, I think it will stand the test of time.

This box is the same revised box that made it to the '04+ FXT's and Baja Turbos. The WRX didn't recieve this box until '05. Supposedly the biggest difference is that this unit has a strengthened case as be quite a bit more resistant to torsional loads and flexing. That was supposedly the major issue with the box in the WRX, particularly the unit in the early New Age WRX's. Simple common sense, when gears get spread apart with great loads on them and get slammed back together, something is bound to give under all that twisting. Generally the weakest part is the gears, so generally that's what goes first. I don't suspect many will be having issues with these boxes. Not at stock power levels, or the 300/300 range while driving smoothly and taking into account it's not a 2WD vehicle, there is a lot more traction there.

Archived