LegacyGT.com

Need help with my coilover selection

Hey guys,

The guy I bought my LGT-L from had advertised the coilovers as so:

Fortune Auto 500 series Generation 5, 5k(spring rate) iin the front and 7k in the back. And said he bought them from a user on this forum.

Well, my front passenger side started leaking and I was planning on replacing the front pair. When I went to the Fortune Auto site and entered my make and model it defaulted the spring rates to 8k in the front and 6k in the rear. My concern isn't necessarily with the numbers, but with the fact that the front spring rate was higher in the front than the rear. And mine were advertised in the opposite order. So now im not sure whether to purchase the 7k or the 5k. I took the wheel off and looked at the coilover and saw nothing about spring rate. Only was able to confirm they were fortune auto 500 series. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Typically for our cars, and most modern Subarus, you want the rear to be equal to or 1k less than the fronts. 2 steps softer on the rear is too much. If they are equal, you get a little more oversteer (or less understeer). RCE offers their Tarmac 0 for our cars with the same spring rate all the way around. Their lowering springs are the same. They more than anyone else have done significant R&D on our platform. OEM 2011-2014 STi for instance are actually 240f/300r pound springs to produce oversteer for that model, and Subaru did much R&D. Keep in mind that the shocks need to be valved for the spring rates.

Previous generation Subarus (ie GC, GD chassis WRX, SF, SG chassis Forester, and BC, BD chassis Legacy) have a different suspension in the rear with a different suspension geometry moment of inertia, so they have always used 2 steps softer in the rear. Unfortunately many coilover companies have carried that through to the modern Subarus without doing the R&D to optimize the setup.

Typically for our cars, and most modern Subarus, you want the rear to be equal to or 1k less than the fronts. 2 steps softer on the rear is too much. If they are equal, you get a little more oversteer (or less understeer). RCE offers their Tarmac 0 for our cars with the same spring rate all the way around. Their lowering springs are the same. They more than anyone else have done significant R&D on our platform. OEM 2011-2014 STi for instance are actually 240f/300r pound springs to produce oversteer for that model, and Subaru did much R&D. Keep in mind that the shocks need to be valved for the spring rates.

Previous generation Subarus (ie GC, GD chassis WRX, SF, SG chassis Forester, and BC, BD chassis Legacy) have a different suspension in the rear with a different suspension geometry moment of inertia, so they have always used 2 steps softer in the rear. Unfortunately many coilover companies have carried that through to the modern Subarus without doing the R&D to optimize the setup.

So in your opinion, would I be better off replacing with 6k as to keep only a 1k difference? And if so, will that produce more body roll?

So in your opinion, would I be better off replacing with 6k as to keep only a 1k difference? And if so, will that produce more body roll?
I would put 6k in the rear. It will allow less body roll and also alter the balance a little more toward a tendency to oversteer. The shock valving you have now should be able to still damp the heavier springs sufficiently.

If you are having them all rebuilt, go with 7k all around and have them valved for that.

I would put 6k in the rear. It will allow less body roll and also alter the balance a little more toward a tendency to oversteer. The shock valving you have now should be able to still damp the heavier springs sufficiently.

If you are having them all rebuilt, go with 7k all around and have them valved for that.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help

Archived