LegacyGT.com

SF air box - patching hole where silencer used to be

thejazzcat

Hey all, so I finally got my Cobb SF and air box in my car... I read on Cobb's wiki that in many cases they recommend leaving the silencer in the fender well to minimize hot air from entering the intake. However, I think these instructions don't seem to apply to the LGT - my silencer did not have any mounting points securing it to the fender well, it just hangs from the air box.

I like the increased bpv sound but the intake is too loud for my tastes when NOT in boost. I figured that it was the extra air coming in through the fender well making it extra loud.

Since we can't leave the silencer in on our cars, has anyone made a plate to patch closed the fender hole beneath/beside the intake? I think this would minimize hot air intake and tame the beasts roar when not in boost.

-thejazzcat

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I might fabricate a prototype sheet metal plate insert for the bottom of the air box and see what it does. I want to test if it's better to fully seal the box or keep a silencer size hole in the bottom (maybe even rig it to hang the silencer box?). As temperatures get colder and I have some time, I will try a few designs and post back here.

The sound really isn't all that bad when temperatures are moderate. I realized that the first time I tested it the temperature was like 25F outside... I am guessing cold weather makes it generally louder like I have experienced on other cars with a cone intake.

I might fabricate a prototype sheet metal plate insert for the bottom of the air box and see what it does. I want to test if it's better to fully seal the box or keep a silencer size hole in the bottom (maybe even rig it to hang the silencer box?). As temperatures get colder and I have some time, I will try a few designs and post back here.

The sound really isn't all that bad when temperatures are moderate. I realized that the first time I tested it the temperature was like 25F outside... I am guessing cold weather makes it generally louder like I have experienced on other cars with a cone intake.

I have removed the intake silencer in the fender with minimal increases in noise. The majority of the sound deadening is done by the factory intake box. I think your efforts would be better spent getting some car stereo sound deadening material and lining the cobb intake box with it

• 2 weeks later...
I have removed the intake silencer in the fender with minimal increases in noise. The majority of the sound deadening is done by the factory intake box. I think your efforts would be better spent getting some car stereo sound deadening material and lining the cobb intake box with it
That's a good idea! I will try that, seems like a cheap and simple thing to try first.

Archived