LegacyGT.com

Can I replace a Subaru Legacy 2016 stereo with a newer Subaru stereo with CarPlay?

My wife has a 2016 Subaru Legacy that doesn't support CarPlay.

According to Apple, only the following models support it:

2017 Impreza

2018 Outback

2018 Crosstrek

Can I buy one of these Subaru OEM stereos and swap it with the Legacy's stereo?

(Yes, I know I can buy aftermarket... I have a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX in my car, but I want to keep her car looking as stock as possible)

Thanks for any help!

I don't believe so, without some serious work. The screens in the '18's are larger, and probably won't fit. Not to mention the electronics...and connections, etc.

Plus, CarPlay isn't all that great. My wife's OB has it, but, it won't let you use google maps. :(

I'll have to continue searching for a solution to that issue.

I think the '18s have a 8" screen vs the 7" screen on the 15-17s. I don't think Subaru would have just changed the screen dimensions and not the trim housing dimensions.

The head units are usually sourced from 3rd parties and they almost always try to change something in the firmware so they are not backwards compatible. Some signal somewhere is encoded differently, which you won't really be able to find out till you plug it in.

May not be cost effective just for getting carplay. But if you have the resources I'd say go for it!

That said, I'd be interested to see if the the AC control part can be swapped PNP. I like how the temp is displayed on the dials and time is large and easy to see.

• 1 year later...

So we are 2 years down the road from this original thread and was looking for an update for my 2015 3.6R. I also found the Seicane website which has an awesome looking direct OEM replace Android 8 Oreo setup. My only concern is with its reliability as there are a few YouTube videos out there trashing these guys for poor quality radios and non-existing support as well as a couple that praise to high heaven how good this unit is. I would love to update to an android head unit... anyone out there found a better source?

https://www.seicane.com/touch-screen-2015-subaru-legacy-outback-bluetooth-gps-navigation-system-with-obdii-aux-steering-wheel-control-usb-1080p-mirror-link-3g-wifi-tpms-dvr-bluetooth-rear-camera-s081992f

I put a Pioneer in my wife's Forester, and it is a mixed bag. CarPlay works pretty well, but the UI for the Pioneer radio has a serious flaw: they put the auto-program "button" (BSM) right next to the rather small radio present buttons, so it is fairly easy to accidentally reprogram all your radio presets when all you were trying to do was change the station. There is no way to turn it off or make the preset buttons bigger by default.

Anyway, I kind of wish I'd gotten her the Sony unit instead, although you really don't know what the issues will be until you use things in real-world situations.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that with Mazda, there is a module (and you have to replace the USB ports with the 2018+ ports that use the same "opening") that you can buy to add Car Play to older models.

Has anyone heard of anything like this for the 2015-2017 Subaru's?

I have asked the same question directly to Subaru and Crutchfield. If anything comes of it, I'll share it here.