LegacyGT.com

Momo shift knob??

BadAndy

If you bought your Momo shift knob (5MT, not auto) from the dealer after buying your car, how much did you pay for it?

I've seen them listed for $65 online at several different places and I've got a $100 Subaru bucks coupon and would like to use it at my local dealer. When I called yesterday about the knob my jaw dropped...he said it was $295!!! The STI STS was also like $350. :eek:

If you're going to buy one after the fact. I'd find the one that's fully wrapped in leather. It's the same knob, just without the melting hot metal lower half.

Here's a pic of one in my friends bimmer. It's the Momo "air race leather"

http://www.linquist.net/gallery2/d/48662-4/ssk.jpg

http://www.linquist.net/gallery2/d/46817-2/IMG_4592.jpg

Be careful with aftermarket knobs. They won't have the groove to hold up the factory shift boot, like the Momo subaru unit. Plus... the threads won't always match up with the lever, so you'll have to lock the knob onto the lever with set screws.

I just don't like the thought of that.

Edit: Moved thread to interior section.

Be careful with aftermarket knobs. They won't have the groove to hold up the factory shift boot, like the Momo subaru unit. Plus... the threads won't always match up with the lever, so you'll have to lock the knob onto the lever with set screws.

According to my friend, "The momo doesn't have any threads - you do mount it with these little hex screws (that are hidden under the bottom part that screws off... not the bottom half of the ball, but a piece under that). "

The Subaru Momo knob has threads and will screw right onto the shifter lever... the other Momo knob will not...

I just don't like the thought of having a set screw loosen up and the knob come off in my hand during a shift....

I just don't like the thought of having a set screw loosen up and the knob come off in my hand during a shift....

to quote my friend, "If you have a threaded rod (huhuhuh I said rod), the threads will lock the tips of the screws (which are pointed) in place. You could use a little lock-tite to keep them from coming loose. My BMW doesn't have a threaded rod, so I screw it in tight enough to make little indents in the rod itself, keeping it in place. I've had this knob in my cars since 1999 and it's been rock solid, no problems."

^ Don't worry, bro - that truly shouldn't ever happen, at least not with a proper install!

A thin layer of teflon "plumber's" tape on each lock-nut screw, or a dab of low-strength threadlocker, will easily guaranty that you won't end up with "knob-in-hand." :) But honestly, even without such measures, you should still be just fine, provided that you've properly locked-down/screwed-down the set-screws. Remember, such setups are used on many firearms sights/optics - so vibration and other "shock" causing said setups to loosen really should not be a problem.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Drove to Buffalo (I'm in Toronto) and picked up one for $84 + tax. Worth the drive as in Canada they want about $200 CDN!

Installed it while I was in the parking lot of the dealer and in 2 minutes I was off to the outlet malls.

I like the momo vs stock. Agree the exposed metal is a little cold but I use driving gloves in winter...Summer should be interesting if the thing get's hot. Time will tell.

It will get hot.... throw a white shirt over it, or make sure you have a towel to grab it with in the middle of the summer.

Now *this* I *do* find to be more of a problem with "set-screw"-type aftermarket knobs....

With these "universal" MOMOs, I also feel that both their lack of physical mass as well as the fact that they're isolated from the shifter stalk via the rubber stalk/shaft adaptor translates to a double-whammy in not allowing the knob to heat-sink, thus becoming either extremely cold or hot during winter/summer months.

With a screw-on knob - at least one with metal-to-metal contact (which, unfortunately, is NOT the case with even the Subaru-MOMO knob, it uses plastic threading on the female/knob end) - especially one that has quite a bit of mass to it, I've found that it can essentially use the shifter assembly of the vehicle as a heat-sink, and thus neither get too hot nor cold.

I don't know how many times I've burned my right palm on my MOMO Competition, back when I had that on one of my DSMs - at the same time, I *never* experienced the same sensation with my GReddy Counterweight and B&M combo.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

http://www.linquist.net/gallery2/d/46817-2/IMG_4592.jpg

Is that some sort of steering wheel cover? Or is your friend babying the car so much he's putting baby powder on the steering wheel? :lol:

As for the Momo universal knobs, I would agree with the others here that if you install it correctly, it shouldn't "slip off". Had mine for several months and it's rock solid steady :D

And as for the summer situation, get one that isn't ALL metal.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Oooooo...Alcantera/Suede. Yummmmmy.....

Feels soooooooo good! :)

Is that some sort of steering wheel cover? Or is your friend babying the car so much he's putting baby powder on the steering wheel? :lol:

As for the Momo universal knobs, I would agree with the others here that if you install it correctly, it shouldn't "slip off". Had mine for several months and it's rock solid steady :D

And as for the summer situation, get one that isn't ALL metal.

It's alcantara, and comes stock on the 330i with Performance Package

Archived