LegacyGT.com

Delta Sonic opinions?

I was searching online for places with a decent car wash, plus I was low on gas, so I decided to check this place out.

The best they had was a 93 octane gas.

They did have a nozzle for RACE GAS, but oh well, it was out of order..

(how is race gas for the car anyway? It was like 5 bucks a gallon, and there was no octane rating)

I also decided to take it into the car wash and an interior cleaning.

They asked me if I wished to also get a coat of wax on it as well.

According to them, it was a sealant type wax, and should protect my paint for 6 months.

There were a few concerns though.

The wash had long brushes like octopus legs drooling all over my car, which I'm pretty sure has a boatload of dirt on it.

They also used like regular towels to dry the car, as well as similar towels to wipe off the wax.

The only thing that impressed me about the towels was when one of the workers showed me how much dirt they got out of the car with the towels. It was like a dark yellow towel, but the side which he was wiping with turned dark gray, so I guess it was effective in one way.

I'm concerned about the microscracthes the towels might have given the car.

Other than that, I must say it's better than the touchless wash that I've been to before. The car looked glossy as hell, and the wheels were actually clean too.

The things I wanna know about this place:

1. Gas quality

2. Car wash quality

3. Wax/ detailing quality

The wax they used was Blue Coral Sealtek acr.

I'll submit pics maybe tomorrow. It's late already so I doubt the lights outside will do any justice.. hmm.. what the hell, I'll try it in a bit.

I can already tell you that Blue Coral is crap. It won't last 6 months. Nothing, and I mean nothing, that is sprayed on your car will last 6 months except paint. Sealants and waxes that are sprayed on the car are watered down in order to get them that fluid. Nothing that watered down will last. They were feeding you a line of BS about the durability.

I would never take my car to a car wash that allowed anything to randomly scrub it. Also, based on what you were saying about the guys drying the car, I wouldn't ever take my car to a place that used processes like that. And it's not just because I'm anal. That is just simply the scariest sounding place that you could take your car. The warning signs are all over the place.

1. They don't know anything about waxes or sealants.

2. They aren't taking any precautions to dry your car properly.

3. They were using processes that were so obviously wrong that you are now worried about the microscratches they might have (and probably did) cause.

4. Their wash was so totally ineffective that they were able to blacken towels just by wiping down your car.

5. What does it say about the durability of the sealant if they apply it to a dirty car and then wipe off all the dirt?

I've got about another 20 things that probably bother me about that place, but the first 5 would stop me from going there. Actually, I would have seen them drying with those towels and I would have asked them to stop the process and give me my keys. lol Our paint is too valuable and way too fragile to subject to that kind of treatment. Even going to the local car wash where you feed it quarters and then work the sprayer is so much better than that. Obviously do a bucket wash if possible, but if that isn't an option then find something touchless or call a detailer who is using better processes and tools than the place you described. That sounds more like a Halloween house of horrors than a car wash. At least that is the way it sounds to me. :lol:

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

wow. that bad huh? :)

The wax they used wasn't sprayed on, but I think it was buffered on.. (not too sure about the term, but they squirted some whie stuff from a plastic bottle onto this hand buffer machine, then rubbed it all over the car, then wiped it off)

I had the car for about two months now I think.

This is only my second car wash. haha.. the weather in western ny is friggin terrible, so I didn't see the point of a car wash.

To the naked eye, it was so much better than the touchless car was I've been to.

The touchless car wash I went to was in Canada, at a gas station called Esso.

I really do care a lot about the detail of the car, and I'd love to see my car clean and glossy as possible, but not to the point where I'll spend hours on it waxing it myself. I'd like to get it done by someone else instead.

This neighborhood is a beat down crappy town, with no one rich enough to get a decent car wash. This is my zipcode 14109. Please help me find a better place then. Thanks man.

It's not really possible for one to find you a better place unless they are local. What I would suggest is that you crack open the phone book and start calling detail shops. Ask them what their processes are and if they dry with crusty bath towels. lol Personally I would check out any shop or car wash that would be getting my business on a regular basis. I totally understand being too busy to care for the car yourself. I'm seriously getting to the point that I wish I could just have someone come out and wash it for me while I'm at work. I barely have time to wash it once a week. If the weather is crap on Saturday then I am just out of luck for that week because I have zero time the rest of the week. Before I take my car anywhere you can bet I'll be inspecting their procesess and making sure they are using the correct tools.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I dunno what to do then. The other so called car washes around here are pathetic. Either they have too much dirt in them that they look like they're gonna end up sand blasting my car, or the touchless ones are just not strong enough and just make my car dirty but wet, or the delta sonic option. I better go find a one with self service. Show me some pics of your car! I wanna see glossy at the max.

oh, and by the way, I was in front of my car with the camera out, and guess what. the battery was dead. ha.

You asked for it. ;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC01913.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02663.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02572.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02570.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSC02982.jpg

Honestly, you don't get that kind of shine at the drive through car wash. You need to start looking for detail shops and not car washes. There is a big difference in the quality that you get.

OCDETAILS BLOG

ok, delta sonic sucks balls.

well, they did have a detail shop there as well.

they had a basic detail for 69.99

show room detail for 179.99

and ultimate detail for 299.99

the first two just say premium quality wax and the ultimate says paint sealant by valuguard

also, all the details say they do offer a touchless car wash...

hmm..

Ooooh... did you say valuguard? Now that is some good stuff. I'm a certified detailer with automotive international. http://www.autoint.com In fact, I'm the only one in Utah. :D Anyway, the valuguard products are really really nice. Top quality stuff. It is the choice of most car manufactuers when they are using products to prep new cars for delivery to the dealerships. That says something when they have customers like that. Anyway, if they are using valuguard products then it says something about their processes in the detail shop. I would wager the detail is worth every penny that they charge. If not then you know where to report them. i wouldn't pay the extra hundred bucks for the sealant, but I would definitely go for a show room detail once a year just to stay on top of things. The basic detail is going to be better than what you are getting at the car wash. autoint has very strict standards for their detailers.

OCDETAILS BLOG

maybe I should ask them and see if they can negotiate prices for just a coat of valuguard, and see if they're willing to do it or not.. hehe.. at least that gives me some hope that a detail freak like you would approve of at least something there.. (I meant that in a good way :))

valuguard is a product line and not a product itself. They have some really good stuff though. They are really geared toward perfecting the paint and not hiding anything. When your car comes back swirl free then you know its because they removed them all. Usually with detail shops they just use a greasy glaze to fill all the swirls and then they come back after two or three weeks. A shop that uses valugard products is interested in removing swirls and damage and not just hiding them. The products are geared more toward industrial users and detail shops, but you can purchase them for your own use as well.

Anyway, valuguard is a product line that I trust and I recomend. In fact, if you look on the wall in this picture you can see one of my valuguard checklists. :) They are really big on training their detailers right and showing them what products to use to cure different problems.

Is the shop you are going to on this list?

OCDETAILS BLOG

woah! there's one close to here!! well not really.. bout a half hour drive.. but hey, if you approve of it, then cool.

So do I need to get like a full blown detial job or can I just ask for a simple one?

Cuz I don't wanna be spending hundreds of dollars every other week.

I would talk to the detailer and find out what they think would work best. Usually regular customers get a better deal than the once every other month or twice a year customers. I'm sure they could work something out for you based on what your car needs. I know I would.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived