LegacyGT.com

Apparent Bearing Squeak...

Hey All,

I've got a feint and inconsistent squeak coming from in the engine bay. sounds like a bearing/idler pulley to me, but was hoping for some additional guidance. 05 5MT GT sedan 137k miles.

Everything under the timing cover is less than 5k miles old and passes the auditory test. Hit the belts with the conditioner and it didn't affect the noise one way or other. Belt tension is well within spec and they pass a visual inspection.

Noise is most prevalent around 2.5k rpm and is not temperature sensitive (i.e motor and ambient temp have made no difference.)

Noise seems to be initiating from the engine compartment more towards the passenger side. Any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated.

You might want to check the tensioner for the a/c belt. The bearing in the plastic pulley commonly goes bad. Easy to replace.

Appreciate the response. I'll add that to the list of things to check off tomorrow.

You can remove each accessory belt individually, start the car and rev it to see when the noise goes away. That's assuming that you can produce the sound when the car is parked by just revving the engine.

Archived