LegacyGT.com

'09 Outback OEM HK sub is blown. Replacement options?

spinnin

Just purchased an '09 Outback Special Edition with the 440 watt HK stereo and the sub is blown. Hard to believe b/c it was purchased from my parents and they only listen to talk radio and the volume level never gets loud.

I did a little research here on the forum and the car has the manual climate control system so it shouldn't be difficult to upgrade anything down the road (no pun intended).

From what info I've gathered here, the OEM sub in the Outback is a 2 ohm DVC. Not sure if the enclosure is considered to be an infinite baffle but it appears to be. I plan to keep everything OEM for now, I just want to replace the sub as it sounds pretty bad when the OEM sub rattles around back there in the storage area.

The sub (driver only) I plan to purchase is the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer. It's a 2 ohm DVC sub that, according to Crutchfield, will work in a "Free Air/IB" enclosure. I didn't buy it yet as I wanted to double check that it will work in this application plus Amazon has it for about 1/2 the price that Crutchfield wants for it. I also plan to buy some generic sound deadening material to place behind the driver to help tighten up the bass. I'm not looking for anything crazy, I just want something that will work properly with the complicated little HK amplifier.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Archived