LegacyGT.com

Gas Fill Up Problems?

willmaxr

As the title says, real issues filling up the tank for the first time. I got to listen in agony over the cell phone yesterday as my wife was screaming the gas was pouring out onto the car. Yikes! So she got $4 in and I took it today. Figuring I'll have no problem.

I couldn't open the gas pump over 1/4 flow or it would shut off like the car was full. The car was definatly empty. It took me about 10 minutes at very slow fill speed to get $18 into the tank. I tried the nozzle all the way in, 1/2 in, and almost out, but to no avail.

Anyone?

Searched, with no results for this problem.

Are you sure it's the problem with the car and not the pump? Have you tried other gas stations?

Yeah. My girl tried that. (and she can drive a 5 speed!) She went to two different stations that day thinking it might be the first station she was at.

I mean, I've been filling up the tank of various cars for the past 20 years and never had this issue. Before we bought the GT, I rented a Outback from Hertz just to check size and took the family on a road trip for business. Filled up 3 times without even thinking about it. No mess.

This is like there is a cork just past the exterior flap of the fuel line.

The only difference I have noticed with this car when filling up is that once the pump clicks off it is over, you can't squeeze anymore into the tank. Also there seems to be a stop/bend in the fill spout that prevents you from sticking the pump in too far. I haven't had any problems with the tank overflowing except for when it is full. Definately check with your dealer to see what the problem is.

The problem is you're letting her drive your car. The gas thingy is something you'll be able to figure out.

Ha. I know. That's what I thought as I was listening to gas pour down the side of the car. I had a business trip and had to leave a car at the airport for two days. It's a toss up, hope nothing happens at the airport parking lot or the wife and twin boys in the ride. Never know which choice is going to result in more damage.

I have a call in to the dealer to see what's up. I was just wondering if this had happened to someone else.

Well, I guesss the lines running down to the gas tank were clogged. By pirating some parts off a new car in the lot and cleaning the lines, she fills fine now. They have $806 worth of new line and parts on order to install at my first oil change. When I get the line item service reciept, I'll post up part numbers for those in the know. The guy told me sometimes the underbody coating gums up into the lines when the apply? Funny how they didn't have any trouble getting the tank filled when I bought it. Or they did have trouble, filled it up, and decided not to tell me about it. That's probably more the case. Now I get to wait to fill up to see if it's fixed. When you don't have this car for a few days, you really miss it. Only 97 more miles to go on break in.

that's what I am saying! he said undercoating. he said he's seen this a few times now, at the one dealer, in a couple foresters.

If it can clog up a big old pipe, what can it do to your fuel lines, injectors, and engine?

After talking to the service guy again, the clog was not in the fuel line, but in the part of the system that controls the air and vacuum to control shut off. does this make sense to anyone that know's how these things are constructed?

Archived