LegacyGT.com

Best snow tire for '05 Outback XT wagon

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board and a relatively new Subaru owner. Like the subject line says, I have a '05 Outback XT Wagon, manual tranny, and I am looking for the best snow tires I can find. I live in Bend Oregon and my wife and I are both huge snow enthusiasts, and will be up at Mt Bachelor several times a week. For those that don;t know, studded tires are legal here in OR and many people use them, although I would be happier with a studless tire since the roads in town are usually not snow-covered.

I am a snow enthusiast and not a car enthusiast (I do LOVE my Sube though!) so please bear that in mind when making recommendations. So if I ask any off the wall questions please forgive me. Example - will I need to pick up a set of 16" wheels for snow tires, and if I do, how would it affect handling and performance and do you have any recommendations?

If anyone is here from bomberonline.com (alpine snowboarding) - hello :)

Hello everyone,

...I am looking for the best snow tires I can find. ...I would be happier with a studless tire since the roads in town are usually not snow-covered....

Hello Mike, and welcome!

I have one recommendation: Nokian RSIs. IMO for pure Winter use, they are the best friction (non-studdable) tires on the market. They are also superior to the Nokian WRs for Winter season application.

Best of luck to ya!

I am running the Hankook IceBear W300, V rated, 225-55-17, $444 shipped to my door with replacement certs from www.tires.com

may not be the "best" overall tire out there, but it is a great performer on dry, wet, snow and ice. So far, been real impressed with their overall handling and comfort. I can still take my on-ramps at nearly 50mph...thanks to the stiffer sidewalls :D

Michelin Blizzaks. The rubber compound on these tires is supposed to become softer as the temperature decreases. However, if it's cold outside without snow, the tires become bald really fast. I had a set on my '99 Passat in Colorado, and never got stuck in the snow, but quickly worn down the front two. Where do you live in Bend...near Bachelor?

Dunlop Winter Sport M3

I've had them on for about 2000 miles now and I lvoe them. Handle rain like a champ. Handle Dry like a beast. Stuck to a dirt road like I was on rails.

Can't wait to try them in the snow. Probly gonna be super sweet

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Michelin Blizzaks. The rubber compound on these tires is supposed to become softer as the temperature decreases. However, if it's cold outside without snow, the tires become bald really fast. I had a set on my '99 Passat in Colorado, and never got stuck in the snow, but quickly worn down the front two. Where do you live in Bend...near Bachelor?

You mean the Bidgestone Blizzaks.

The Michelin X-Ice has similar performance but better thread life and better dry/wet traction.

Dunlop Winter Sport M3

I've had them on for about 2000 miles now and I lvoe them. Handle rain like a champ. Handle Dry like a beast. Stuck to a dirt road like I was on rails.

The M3 is indeed a very good all-around tire, doesn't behave like a snow tire on dry pavement at all.

However, they do not have the performance of a Snow & Ice tire on icy surfaces. That's OK unless you live in a place that gets a lot of icy roads.

Dunlop Winter Sport M3

Another vote for M3's. Fantastic tires in snow (not much ice here, but they're awesome in snow) and they handle quite well on dry/wet pavement.

They have alot of sipes....I'd think they'd do okay on ice. But seriously, do you live on a frozen lake?

I'd say go with the blizzaks if you're worried about ice, the M3's if you get lots of actual snow.

The blizzaks probly won't last as long as the M3's. M3's also come in a higher speed rating.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Thanks for all the suggestions so far - lost to think about! I haven't seen any recommendations for "just get studded tires" - I'm assuming that other than making ODOT's job harder, dry pavement performance is why nobody is recommending them? I had them on my old Durango, it I didn't like taking corners fast in that thing anyway but the studs sure kept it from becoming a 2-ton hockey puck. (I lived over by Mount Hood last year, icy roads are not uncommon...)

Mike, also, here's some addl info on the RSIs: http://www.nokianrsi.com/EN/index.html

I ran them last winter (first season) and can't say enough good things about them. I had Blizzak MZ-02s prior to this and the Nokian's run circles around those. Can't speak for how the RSIs compare to the Blizzak WR-50s or Dunlop M3s, though the M3s look like they should do very well with all the siping. Have fun shopping!

Hey there just a note...I travel the highway back and forth from Vancouver to Whistler 3-4 times a week and rarely get ice...snow mainly...after reading a few of these threads I am sold on the M3's for the reasons that they are good in snow an good on dry and wet as well...which are the prevailing conditions here in southwestern BC...mostly rain and then snow at the higher elevations...but I am all ears for the RSI as well...my concern is that 80% of my drive is Dry and wet at best and the last part is snow occasionally...I'm open and trying to finalize this week...My thoughts on the M3's were that they were a superior tire for the user that needed a good comination for the longer term winter like we have in BC as in November to March/April (Possible snow at anytime in between but not always the case)

I will say this...I lived in Anchorage AK for 10 years and drove on all wheel/front wheel/with studs without studs et all" and found that of course it's mostly how you drive of course but studs are great for keeping things on the straight and narrow during emergency braking...up there it's snow and ice for a good 4 months! It is my opinion that with new rubber compounds that studs are a thing of the past for most daily drivers...

I am on it...had a shop show me the Yokahama AVS Winter ...any experience!

No experience with Yokahamas. Look at users' reviews online - maybe tirerack or what's the name of that big online retailer you have in Vancouver, they have lots of reviews as well.

I had M3's on my audi prior to getting my subbie. All I have to say is they kicked the hell out of the artic alpins I had on another car and stopped like a dream on packed snow and powder...ice wasn't too bad as I tried it on a parking lot behind my appartment building, but I have no comparision to make it to on ice because I never tried it on the artic alipins and my other set were bald all seasons.

Archived