LegacyGT.com

2015+ Legacy almost PNP Hella horns DIY

I bought some OEM style replacement Hella Horns and installed them tonight. I just wanted to do a small DIY on how I did it.

1.Remove Bumper cover (this is easier than it looks) I will explain briefly … remove the top 6 clips holding the top of the bumper cover then there is 1 clip on each wheel well that needs to be removed (can’t miss it) and the 9 clips from the bottom of the bumper cover then simply pull off the bumper and disconnect the fog lights

2.Both horns will now be visible, they are both above where the fog lights would be on each side of the car.

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

3.I started with the driver side, I unplugged the horn and removed it from the car with a 12mm socket wrench.

IMG_2405.jpg IMG_2406.jpg IMG_2409.jpg

4. I then installed the new hella horn which was plug and play and mounted it back to the car

IMG_2412.jpg

5. I then proceeded to the passenger side and unplugged and removed the horn from the car using a 12mm socket wrench.

IMG_2414.jpg

6.The horn on the passenger side has a different style plug than the one on the driver’s side (who knows why)

IMG_2415.jpg IMG_2416.jpg

7.Both the new hella horns had the same style plugs so for the new horn to work on the passenger side I had to do some trimming. I trimmed down the plastic around the male spade connector, and so the factory plug would work on the new hella horn I also drilled a small hole on the male spade connector so the OEM harness would click into place.

IMG_2418.jpg

8.Everything snapped in and I mounted the new hella horn to the car.

IMG_2419.jpg

9.Then I proceeded to put back on the bumper cover and clipped everything into place.

Impressions: these horns do seem louder and sound slightly better than stock. I was looking for more of an American car horn sound but this will do for now. The hella horns were meant for Toyota cars and were almost PNP. (driver side was)

Horns I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-011225881-Black-77mm-Toyota/dp/B00BODVOSY/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509762256&sr=sr-1&keywords=hella+horn+toyota

Archived