LegacyGT.com

2005 XT Running very badly after ECU reset

Wow, I just went thru my stock airbox to check for leaks and found that the two halves didn't even come together very well to sandwich the filter. It had a bunch of side to side slop in it. I found one of the two mounting bolts from airbox to frame was snapped off. The WIX paper filter didn't fit in the box all that well. It seemed to seal ok though, albeit with a felt-like seal. The top two spring clips that apply the pressure were worn and had little to no oomph left. Based on what others have said in other p0171 threads, that could be it right there. I straightened everything out and got it all tight, but I don't know how long before I can road test it. I have to have my brother come over and run interference for me because of my expired tags. I only get one trip permit a year in Oregon, so I have to make it count. Can't wait to get the btssm and stop guessing.

I can't believe the car can throw a code with how well it seems to be running. I mean, I've had decent vac leaks in other Subarus (even my 08 LGT) that never threw a code. And I've had ones that would make the car stumble and throw an immediate CEL. But not like this.

Before you buy the device, you can send a PM to heiche, the creator of the btssm app. He could confirm whether or not it'll work.

And btw, the btssm bluetooth sensor works on both 05-07 and 08+. I tried mine on a friend's 08 and it recognized it right away.

Before you buy the device, you can send a PM to heiche, the creator of the btssm app. He could confirm whether or not it'll work.

And btw, the btssm bluetooth sensor works on both 05-07 and 08+. I tried mine on a friend's 08 and it recognized it right away.

Really? Well then that might change things.

Thanks for the tip.

So I got the BTSSM going thru bluetooth and after it's warmed up and idling,

FUEL LEARN % 9.52

FUEL CORRECT % 2.2

What other things should I be looking for? My data from my 2008 LGT and my OBXT look very much the same with these two items being the only differences.

PS. This BTSSM is frickin' awesome.

Good on you for getting that tool.

First question: when was the last time you have reset the ecu? How many miles do you think you've done since then?

Second, your IAM is around 0.5 which is low. It should be at 1.00. Essentially, if the engine has been knocking a lot in various conditions, the ECU will try to protect the engine by pulling timing across the board, thereby reducing the IAM from 1.00 to whatever. So, unless you just reset the ECU, you've been knocking quite a lot.

One possible reason for it is that you are running lean: the report you just posted shows the fuel learn value at idle, which is around 9.91%. That means that the ecu has learned to add 9.91% of fuel because there is some amount of unmetered air that entered the combustion chamber. And on top of that, the fuel correct value is 2.8%. That means that even though the ecu learned to add at idle 9.91% of fuel, it is still adding on top of that another 2.8% of fuel, essentially giving an overall fuel correction of 2.8+9.91~13%. The ECU fuel correction can only go up to 15%. You are almost there. So, either you still have a vacuum leak somewhere, or your MAF is acting up.

Can't remember... Do you have an aftermarket air filter?

Also, pull an 'LV' and report that. If you click on the 'CAR' button at the upper right corner of your screen, you will see 'LV'. This will give you a nice report of your four learned fuel trims (@ idle, cruise, acceleration, wot) and a table showing in which conditions timing has been pulled.

It's been maybe 40 miles since I reset the ecu by depressing the brake pedal with the battery disconnected. And zero miles since I erased the p0171. I just resealed my airbox and did a smoke test and that came back good. I will swap my MAFs and then compare the #s. My car does not have an aftermarket air filter, but it did briefly immediately before I reset it 40 miles ago. Thanks again for the help.

BtSsm_LV_20171120_1729.png.e7a3fe630dfc69baf851e4793e9fb267.png

BtSsm_LV_20171120_1910.png.2e3d6e1e427275a6685f2fa54ce3ab33.png

It's been maybe 40 miles since I reset the ecu by depressing the brake pedal with the battery disconnected. And zero miles since I erased the p0171. I just resealed my airbox and did a smoke test and that came back good. I will swap my MAFs and then compare the #s. My car does not have an aftermarket air filter, but it did briefly immediately before I reset it 40 miles ago. Thanks again for the help.

So you just cleared a CEL code? If yes, then the ECU was essentially reset at the same time. So I am guessing that is the reason why your IAM is at 0.5. That's good news then. Keep an eye on it. Go drive a bit. Don't push the car hard since you are running lean(i.e. running lean + boost = knock!). Observe that the IAM is increasing and reaching 1.00. And pay attention to the other learned fuel trims showing up on the LV. They should slowly get populated. I am guessing they will become positive too...

Finally, you could also rule out that the MAF wiring harness is not acting up simply by doing the following: while the engine is idling, run the btssm app, take the phone with you, open the hood, and wiggle the MAF wires while you stare at the 'fuel correct' variable. If the MAF wiring harness is working good, the fuel correct parameter should not budge.

Depends on the tune (and differs on the stock tunes too model to model and year to year).

Typically the max 'Fuel Learn' (A/F Learn aka Long-Term Fuel Trim - LTFT) that the ECU will allow is set to 15-20% in any of the A/F Learn ranges.

Couple that with high Fuel Correct and the DTC will set and CEL will trigger.

So say a prolonged period where Fuel Learn in any particular range increases to 15-20% and maintains that level or shows an upward trend even when maxed out

(obvious from Fuel Correct still being positive and potentially also maxing out +/-25% I believe are its stock ranges).

I took it out last night and got it up to 60 on four separate drives. The CEL has been coming on like clockwork on the third or fourth trip up to 60. Not this time. IAM has reached 1.0. I'm confident enough to go and get a trip permit. Also, when I swapped MAFs I put the questionable one in my LGT and it now it's not driving as well and the LVs are up as well. Looks like the MAF might be the bad guy, but I'll know more as I plan on smogging it tonight.

My cheap generic code reader(that I gave to my brother) would display "I/M Readiness" , which I assume is when the systems are all reporting and it's ready for a test. Is there a way to know this using BTSSM? I have an iCarsoft also and I can't find it on there either.

Archived