LegacyGT.com

Arcing ignition coil

Hello fellow Legacy owners,

I recently noticed that my car misfires a lot after a significant rainfall. I had a look under the hood when it was dark outside and noticed arcing between the ignition coil and the spark plug wires that connect to it. The arcing happened for multiple wires and not only a single one.

Might the ignition coil be faulty or might it just be the wires themselves or both?

If I do have to change the wires, is it worth getting NGK spark plug wires or a cheap OEM replacement will do?

Thank you for your input,

Alexander

Definitely it is worth it to use the NGK blue spark plug wires, P/N FX101 for 2.5i. Try changing them first.

If that does not solve the issue, you may have to replace the ignition coil, a fairly expensive part from Subaru, P/N 22433AA580. You could go aftermarket to get a better price.

Keep things clean in the engine bay, it may help.

Definitely it is worth it to use the NGK blue spark plug wires, P/N FX101 for 2.5i. Try changing them first.

If that does not solve the issue, you may have to replace the ignition coil, a fairly expensive part from Subaru, P/N 22433AA580. You could go aftermarket to get a better price.

Keep things clean in the engine bay, it may help.

Is there a way to check which one of them might be the source of the problem, before buying new parts? What advantages are there to running NGK versus OEM replacement? What does the price difference offer?

Thanks again!

NGK is the OEM supplier, AFAIK. I suggested NGK wires because they are good quality and work well. I suggested doing the wires first because that is cheaper than replacing the coil. A set of wires might cost $40-45 around here, anyway. If your problem is fixed, you don't have to buy anything else. It is hard to imagine you would see arcing if your current wires were in good shape.

NGK is the OEM supplier, AFAIK. I suggested NGK wires because they are good quality and work well. I suggested doing the wires first because that is cheaper than replacing the coil. A set of wires might cost $40-45 around here, anyway. If your problem is fixed, you don't have to buy anything else. It is hard to imagine you would see arcing if your current wires were in good shape.

Thanks for your input! Greatly appreciated. I guess I will start by getting new wires.

Archived